Finger "Wound" That Won't Heal

hey ladies, not a kiddo question, but you always have such great advice. right now i am about to go insane from the itching feeling. i have had a cuticle that i think is infected, for several weeks now. it's been red and by turns pussy or even bleeing slightly, swollen and just nasty looking. thankfully it's just a little cuticle so it's not too intrusive. money has been tight lately, i can't go to the dr. and i know i have been stressed out and not eating well, although i take a multivitamin daily. anyway, i know i am not in top shape at the moment. i know that's part of it. but it has become downright painful, and i have kept a band-aid and either neosporin or peroxide on it at all times the past few days. a couple times it looked like it was getting better, but you'd be surprised how many times you brush or graze or downright bang your cuticle of your left hand ring finger on things! so it has just gotten worse and worse. the last few days i have kept it wrapped up pretty much 24-7, because even if i leave it open at night it oozes (watery discharge, not colored) and crusts up. SO i know this is gross and i'm sorry, but i am wondering at what point i should worry. i think it's on it's way to getting better again, and this time i am KEEPING it covered, because tonight i was cleaning it up and it itches SOOOO bad, it goes all the way down my ring finger, into my pinky, and even down into my whole hand. it's driving me nuts! i hope that is a good sign! if i continue to keep it clean and dry and wrapped, it should get better now right....help! and please no horror stories about auto immune diseases. House-esque fungi, or flesh eating bacteria lol. it's just a little cut or scratch or something in a really bad place, that is having a hard time healing. thanks for all the comfort and advice! lol. i know it's silly....

i have friends who swear by the power of vinegar--when they have sore cuticles or slight infection they soak them in the vinegar 2-3 times daily until it is better. Maybe try it over the weekend and if you keep having oozing it's time to visit a doctor. good luck!

If the bandage is getting wet use a 'finger condom'. Sorry I'm not sure what else to call them. Otherwise try what the other ladies suggest, but if it doesn't get better in a week then please go to the health department or a free clinic. If your nail bed gets damaged then your finger nail will not grow as pretty as it does now. I would hate for you to get a nasty infection that spreads. I would worry if my other fingers started feeling the effects from an infected cuticle.

God bless!

The itching is because it is healing. I just make it through it. Don't scratch or pick at it or it will get infected again. There is a product called Betadine (sp?) that is an iodine soak solution. That is what my Podiatrist had me soak my infected toes in and it does work. I am not one to take oral antibios unless I am on my death bed because I want them to work when I am on my death bed. :p

I used to work for a hand surgeon, so I saw all kinds of injuries to the hands. It sounds like you are doing the right things as far as cleaning the wound (use mild soap and water, skip the peroxide), neosporin and keeping it covered. What concerns me is that you said you are feeling the "itching" down into another finger as well as your hand. It sounds like the infection could be spreading. Is your finger red? Is the redness spreading? That could be serious. I know you said money is tight, but if it doesn't get better in the next 3-5 days, I would definitely suggest you go to your family doctor or the walk-in clinic at Walgreens. Both would be able to prescribe you antibiotics, which I think you might need. You could also take ibuprofen for the pain. It is an anti-inflammatory that helps take the swelling and pain down. Anyway, if you have any more questions, please send me a private message. Good luck!

I agree with everyone else. Fingers are terribly germy and it sounds like you have an actual infection of a could-get-serious-if-you-don't-treat-it-now variety. Antibiotics!

I was told by my Dr to not use peroxide on any abrasion, unless to clean it for the first time.
He said soap and water only. Peroxide damages the skin and keeps it from healing.
Use only neosporin and let it dry out. It could be being irritated by dishwashing or pealing veggies, so wear gloves while doing any chore that gets your hands wet
Good luck it should start to heal when you drop the peroxide
KC

I googled "natural antibiotics for wounds and here's a couple of links that I came up with. Hope it helps.

http://www.brighthub.com/health/alternative-medicine/arti...

http://www.ehow.com/way_###-###-####_natural-antibiotic-r...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/236475/home_reme...

i had a cut on my foot the same way.. and i was worried... i put peroxide on it 3 times a day.. and neosporin 3 times a day... kept it covered all the time.. at night.. i used diaper rash cream.. a lot. like a glob... and then covered it.. it finally started to heel.. but you have to do this for like 5 or 6 days... keep on putting more meds on it.. and it will heal

1 / 3