Fine China in Dishwasher?

I have probably a dumb question. We have some china from when we got married and some china we bought for Christmas time. We have never used any of them. We recently decided to live a little and actually USE these gorgeous place settings. They are lined with 24-carat gold and I want to take good care of them.

I plan on hand-washing them always but every once and a while my husband "tries to help" and he insists everything should go in the dishwasher - even the few things we have that are not dishwasher safe such as our ice-cream scoop.

Should I threaten him not to put the fine china in the dishwasher or is it actually dishwasher safe? They do not have the symbols on them because they are pretty old.

Thank you very much for your responses. I had planned on hand-washing them anyway but now when my husband INSISTS they can go in the dishwasher I'll just pull this up and show him that NO ONE ON EARTH thinks that's a good idea. Thank you so much.

Do NOT put them in the dish washer.
The gold can wear off, they can chip or get water stains.
It's a pain to wash them, but if you really want to keep them
for ever, and/or they are sentimental to you, better get out the
PalmOlive and a bunch of towels.

S :)

Tell him that he can either hand wash the fine china or scrub the toilets. I wonder which one my husband would choose ...!?

You should ALWAYS hand wash fine china. It is such a pain in the butt, which is why we don't use it that often. I actually put mine in the dishwasher once, and the gold band washed off in a couple spots. Hope this helps!

Never put fine china in the dishwasher. The dishwashing detergent along with the force of the water is designed to wash things OFF dishes and pans, so the gold band in the dishes will look dull as it is eventually washed off. I would simply tell my husband that I would take care of the china (and hand-wash it) and he can take care of everything else.

Dear Aga, I would not put the dishes in the dishwasher. Why risk ruining them.

Do NOT put them in the dish washer.
PalmOlive and a bunch of towels.

S :)

Don't take a chance with the dishwasher. Husbands don't care because china is not their thing. You need to take the china out at least every 2 months and hand wash because like crystal the china becomes brittle and will chip easily if it's not handled often. The oils from your hands with light soap does fine to strengthen the china (and crystal).Remember, if you want something done right, do it yourself (hahaha-mom always told me that).

I recently found out that my china is dishwasher safe....even w/ the gold trim. The trick is to not remove them from the dishwasher until they are completely cooled down. If you start touching the gold around the plates before they are cooled off...the gold can start to come off. Most modern day dishwashers have a china setting that is completely safe for china and crystals. I've started using the dishwasher for mine. I have some older china handed down as well and I've put them in the dishwasher to no ill effect. But...it is a sense of security as well. If you really don't like the idea of dishwashing the china....then follow your gut and stick to your guns. You have to do what is comfortable for you. Good Luck!

Hand wash! =) I wouldn't chance it in the dishwasher!

I'll add my vote in too - don't put them in the dishwasher. The gold will be worn away far more quickly in there then they would ever be from normal use. The rattling in there will also create a risk of chips or breaks. I wouldn't risk it - especially with the older stuff.

Never put fine china or crystal or silver plated silverware in the dishwasher.

In the case of china with a gold band around it, you would surely (and quickly) lose that gold band. Gold is very soft, and the heat will make it even softer. The heat and abrasiveness of the dishwasher will destroy it quickly. Then it will start to work on the lovely glossy finish of the dishes themselves.

With crystal, the heat will turn the clear goblets cloudy and give them a "rainbow" look. The heat is too strong for fine crystal.

In silver plated flatware, the silver actually begins to melt off the utensils. It will wear off the silverware rather quickly.

If you use your dishwasher, you will destroy your lovely dinnerware.

I wouldn't put the china lined with gold in the dishwasher. The gold will slowly chip off. Just remember all the tiny food particles on the dirty dishes get swirled around in the dishwasher and etch your fine tableware. I use my fine china edged with gold but have always hand-washed them. They are almost 20 years old and look as good as new.

I wouldn't recommend it either. If your husband wants to help you clean up give him something else to do out of the kitchen!

dishwashers are really tough on good china. It will wear off the gold, espcially if it's old. And really, how often do you use the china that it is that difficult to wash it by hand.

This Thanksgiving we left the china and crystal to wash the day after, so we could enjoy our company. My 21 year old daughter told me that she was so proud the first time my mom let her help wash the china and crystal. It meant that she was growing up and responsible. We actually had a good time together this year washing the dishes. It was a great time to talk!

I wouldn't risk it - that 24 karat gold lining will come right off in the dishwasher. Anything that has sentimental value to you is worth the extra effort. Better safe than sorry : )

I have gold around my dishes too. They are NOT dishwasher safe.

your husband will regret his short cut in leisure. You know how the dishwater take tarnish off tea balls, well it's gonna do the same to the gold & finish of the fine porcelain, When I bought gold rimmed cocktail glasses from a resale store, the nice manager specifilly told me not to put in the dishwasher. Don't do it!