Finding a Sippy Cup

I am trying to slowly introduce a sippy cup to my son who is 10 months old. I have breastfed him up until now so he has never even had a bottle. I have tried a few different cups and he has no idea what to do with them. Any suggestions?

I would try the Lovin Cup,(or Nuby™ 14-Ounce Flip-It Cup with Straw) it has straw and was recommended by the Child Development Team of NJ. They recommend the cup so children to not develop lisps or other speech problems associated with the traditional sippy cup, it also doesn't spill out if tipped over..

A. A

A. A

My Little guy is almost 13 months and has also never taken a bottle. I have tried several sippy cups and find the playtex and nuby brands that have straws to be the best for him. He doesn't realize that he needs to tip the cup to get liquid, he just sucks on the spout. With the straw he doesn't need to tip the cup. Good luck!

My son was also exclusievely breastfed and never had bottles too! Good job to you Momma! Mine is now 13.5 months and still happily nursing! My experience with sippy cups is there is no right one. I tried many different types...some soft, some hard, some fast flow, slow flow, no spill, leaking etc... He never took not one. I just kept them available with water in them for him to play with. He eventually got it...probably around 11-12 months. Its still fairly new to him and he still chokes to death now and again if he drinks too fast! Just let him play with them. Maybe get one that drips a little and put it in his mouth so he sees that stuff comes out of it. That will at least get him interested to experiment with why that is happening. His time will come, there is no rush as long as he's still nursing well! Hope this helps! Good luck!

Hey K.!! Great to hear there are other mom's who didn't force a bottle on their kids. My older children couldn't understand why our youngest never used a bottle and went right to a cup. Keep trying different ones, we tried and tried MANY cups - finally ended on disposible ones <Wal-mart sells them in like a 4 pk>. She used them for juice and water at first until she was used to it and then I switched her over to whole milk. GREAT EXPERICENCE!! Good Luck.

Sucking on a cup like this is a learned response. It's not natural and it's different from sucking on a breast. I actually had to remove the antispill insert to get my son to figure out there was stuff in the cup and he was on a bottle. Walmart makes these Nuby brand cups that are suppose to be anti-spill but they do leak and if the baby bites on the sipper the liquid will leak out.

At Walmart or any store like it, there are NUBY sippies. They have a soft spout just for the transition to sippy cup. It works great, but it is not spill proof. Just becareful of the spills. Then I went to Playtex Insulated No-Spill Sippy Cups. They are fantastic, and really don't spill.

We spent the last 4 years in Japan so it took me awhile to find one similar to the one I used for my 22 month old little girl. But the two that I have found that are the closest to the ones I used are the "Luv N Care Nubby Two Handle" & possibly the "Gerder graduates sippy cups". I breast feed both of my girls, the oldest is now 8 yrs old. My youngest never took to a bottle no matter how hard I tried. (Except if she was with a sitter and I was now where around. lol) She took to this type of cup right away I guess because the silicone top is soft and was nubbly, and it flow similar to a nipple. They have to suck to get the liquid out. I hope that this is helpful to you. Good luck!

I've seen suggestions that you put breastmilk in the sippy cup first. I don't know if you're already doing that, but it might help.

And, keep trying. If he doesn't take it the first time (after a few minutes), give it to him the next time, and so on. Eventually he'll take it.

1 / 3