Filthy Dirty House & Play Dates

Would you let your child go and play at someone's house even if you KNEW FOR SURE it was filthy dirty?

Now, let me first say, this neighbor family is always chomping at the bit to have their boy come here but have never once asked my son to come over. I suspect it is REALLY BAD and have seen (once) the unbelievable mess, clutter, etc. in their home with my own eyes. They always come out & shut the behind them if you go over & knock, etc., but WHAT IF they invite my child in?

Comments from their little boy about our home leads me to believe their house is very unsanitary. He's 5 and marveled at the cleanliness of our toilet for about a half hour! I keep a clean house, but it's not like we live in the Taj Mahal with a gold encrusted toilet or anything!

Has anyone been in a similar situation?

.

I really wouldn't worry about something that hasn't happened yet and is most likely NOT going to happen.

OMG! Are you my neighbor!?

Oh, wait, my son is 3...

We have a messy house. We vacuum and clean every weekend, but by Monday afternoon you would never know it. We try to pick up during the week, but somehow its still a disaster..

We have two little neighbor girls nexts door. Their house always looks like something out of a magazine. Everyday - no matter what. My son runs in their house, and they run in ours. I am always embarassed because my house is such a mess but its more important to me that kids get to play together and my house is a comfortable place that I just try to accept that I am not going to be admired for housekeeping.. ;) In addition, I am always so thankful for my gracious neighbor, with her immaculate house, who always graciously waved off my apologies and seems to mean it when she says a little mess does not bother her.

To get back to your question - If your child is invited, and you trust the parents to supervise, I say let him go. He probably wont get lost in the clutter and never be found again. He may be exposed to some more germs than at your house, but probably not any more than he gets in most public places. Hopefully your son knows to wash his hands after using a bathroom or before eating, which should take care of most of the germ issues.

Let him go. He'll have a great time tunneling through their house.

Sounds like they are hoarders, and chances are, will not be doing much "entertaining" anyway. I feel sorry for the little boy - it must be like paradise for him to go to your house - he probably is grateful for the break, it must be so depressing for him to live like that.

I remember going to friends houses that were very gross and some friends houses that were extremely awesome.
Getting to know the parents might help.
My mom didnt drive so she never saw my friends homes on the inside.
I lived thru all the wierdness tho, unscathed, for the most part.
If I knew a place was really disgusting tho, I'm sure I would not let my kids spend the night there, but I probably would let them play there. It teaches them to KNOW the differences between a clean home and a dirty one. The kids from the dirty home need to learn those differences too, by visiting you :)
We only KNOW what we grow up with for quite some time.

No I wouldn't let my child go. Maybe they can have their playdate at a park or your house. Poor little guy... the tv show hoarders comes to mind...

D., from your description, it sounds like they will never ask your child over to play. So don't worry about it. Try not to worry about other peoples' houses. It doesn't do any good.

I could have eaten off the floor growing up, my mom cleaned so much. Am I a clean freak? No. I hate cleaning house, and I do what I need to do to keep most of the rooms decent, though my home office is not what I want it to be - never has been. I usually end up shredding and throwing out so that I don't have to figure out what to do with it all. My hair sheds so much that I look at my bathroom floor and think I could make a wig with what I lose in a year's time. That means I don't vacumm the bathroom floor enough. Thank goodness I have a cleaning service to help me since I hate doing it.

It's so easy to have too much clutter living in America where houses are larger and the push for buying things is so prevalent. She probably has trouble throwing things away and the clutter prevents her from cleaning. I told myself when my kids are out of the house, I'll have half the stuff I do now with the toys and books and coats and jackets and boots that take up so much space, all gone. (Boys the size of men have such large clothes!)

Unless her house looks like "The Hoarders", I wouldn't worry about it.

If they have not asked and their house is filthy, why would they ask? You can politely decline if they do.

M

You sound justified in being concerned. I have had occasion to walk into homes as you describe and am appalled that children live in them. There is definately a difference between a messy house, and a house never cleaned up. Some people really have a problem when it comes to housekeeping. Clutter, and trash-food-all kinds of junk are 2 different issues. First, no I wouldn't let my kids in. Second, you should call child services. It's not a safe environment. I know there are some who would think this is harsh, but it's not. If child services came and thought it was sanitary then they would leave it be, but if your gut is telling you otherwise then don't let your child in. Also, it's great that you give their child a safe space.

1 / 3