Field Trip Lunch Ideas

My son is going on a school field trip in the morning and I just received the guidelines from his teacher today. I need to pack a lunch that is completely disposable (he can't take a lunchbox and there will be no refridgeration) and that doesn't contain peanut butter. My son will eat pretty much anything, but I can't think of something good to send him for the main part of his lunch. (I am thinking of applesause, dried apricots, pretzels) Any ideas? Thanks!

Thanks for the ideas. I'm pretty good at the normal variety, but I guess my concern is that it is a hot summer day and the lunch will be sitting under the bus or outside until afternoon and any meat-type sandwiches or cheese items would get gross! (different from normal inside conditions where most things would be fine for a few hours)---ice cubes in a ziploc as a throw away ice pack could help a lot.

for field trips I take my kids to the deli and they get to order a special sandwich and get a bag of chips. Then I usually pack them an apple or an orange whichever they would prefer and they get to pick a candy bar. I consider field trips to be a special occasion and they think getting a deli sanwich is a treat......so that is what works for us.

My daughter is allergic to peanuts and we buy Sunbutter Sunflower seed butter It looks, smells and just about tastes like peanut butter. Parents I know who are convinced their kids will eat nothing but peanut butter were floored when I served their child a sandwich with sunflower seed butter and their kid ate it! If you do do the sunbutter, I would write a note to the teacher letting them know it is NOT peanut butter.

Another option could be one of those tuna lunch packs that are shelf stable, if he eats tuna salad. I think it has the tuna salad & crackers.

I hope these ideas help!

I hope these ideas help!

Why not a meat/cheese sandwich, or wrap? Is it because you normally put an ice pack in his lunch? My kids have had hundreds of turkey & mayo (or ham & mustard, etc.) sandwiches over the years and I never used an ice pack. If that IS your concern you can always freeze some water in a small ziploc, then put that ziploc in slightly bigger one to prevent leaks. Then he can just throw it away after lunch :)

I just made my son's lunch for a field trip yesterday, and made some turkey rollups, with tortillas. You can put anything on them, he likes a little cream cheese and lots of lettuce, and I wrapped it up in tin foil. Put it in a paper sack or a walmart sack with his name on it, and tie it up!! You can send a water bottle with 1/2 the water frozen then fill it up and send a crystal light dry packet with him and some fruit!!

Can you freeze a juice box and use that as an ice pack? This would allow you to pack cold stuff if you child didn't want a different kind of PB. I like the roll up idea. If you packed it in a brown paper bag and then a plastic bag I think it should hold up nicely.

Partially freeze the juice box, applesauce, yogurt etc to help keep everything cool. My kids LOVE partially frozen watermelon especially on a hot day! I freeze stuff overnight and then take out as soon as I wake up so it has 2 hrs to sit on the counter and then go in to the lunch box. Keep in mind that frozen and cold things sweat, so you might want to put these things in a gallon size baggie and then into a brown bag.

We have this issue all the time, too. I usually give my son a banana or apple, some pretzels or goldfish, a bagelful (those stuffed bagels) straight from the freezer and a frozen juice box. I put the bagelful and juice box in a paper towel then in a ziplock to keep them together to stay cold longer. It has worked everytime and seems to be filling for him. Good luck!

And freeze whatever you send in as the drink. If you send a small bottle of water, semi-freeze it. (You don't want his drink to NOT thaw enough for him to be able to drink it, lol). Or a juice box/caprisun pouch-- freeze them. They will help insulate whatever else needs to stay chilled. As for the ziplock- be sure to use a freezer bag one. Much less likely to leak.

Apples or bananas also travel very well without needing to be chilled. :)

1 / 3