Fidgety ??

My son is 3 1/2 months old and has been very good about sleeping at night. Of course he still wakes 1-2 times a night to eat, but then goes right back to sleep. However, the last several nights about 30 min after he eats he gets very restless. He does not wake up and is not crying, but he seems to be unable to get into a comfortable position. I have tried Gripe Water and Mylicon, but It hought that if his stomach was hurting him, he would be crying and awake. I had thoguht about giving him a little rice cereal in his bottle thinking it would settle his tummy. I have not tried the rice cereal yet. I have been waiting to ge the ok from my pediatrician. We go for my son's 4 month appt in 2 weeks. I am at a loss...what do I do??

If he is not awake and crying let him be fidgety. All babies experience this with their sleep cycles. He is probably in REM sleep (I think that is what it is called). He'll go in and out of this phase several times through the night. It is the dream phase.

If your son is not crying or waking up, then leave him alone and let him be fidgety. If he were really uncomfortable or if something were really wrong, he would wake up and cry to let you know.

If the little one is not crying, let him be fidgety. He is probably just getting to an age where he needs some physical stimulation before he goes to sleep. Try playing patty cake with his little hands before letting him try to sleep. I am a fidgeter myself and so are all my children. They will find what motion is neccesary to them to help them sleep. Let him figure it out.

Hi B.,

I have a 4 month old and she does the same your son, wakes up eats and goes back to sleep, and what I noticed on my daughter when she gets fidgety is that one of the times she was hot, so I changed her clothes to a wanzy and she went right to sleep, other times I just give her the pacifier and she goes back to sleep. Good Luck with everything..God BLess You!

Mia

If he's not crying - I wouldn't worry about it too much. It's good to let him learn to calm himself down. My doctor told me to give my daughter Mylanta. It settled her stomach. We gave her Mylanta Supreme Cherry (for adults). At that age, I believe we gave her 1/4 tsp. It helped a lot.

please don't give cereal in the bottle unless it is recommended by your pedi - usually only in the case of reflux. it can cause choking, is developmentally inappropriate and totally unessecary. when you decide to start cereal do it from a spoon.

Hi B.,
I had the same issue with my son the first days of his life. It turned out he had an intolerence to the regular formula. His Pediatrician changed it to soy formula and the problem was gone. He is now 3 yrs old and is able to drink regular milk.

E.

Hi B.,
You are right to question any behavior that is unusual to you. It may be a stage or something. But from my experience my children didn't always cry when they were sick. Once my youngest had an unusual blush to his earlobes. I took him to th pediatrician to find out that his inner ear was bleeding internally from a acute ear infection. After that I noticed everything. Usually it was nothing but that time it was a real problem.
So ask your pediatrician when doubt.

1 / 3

Explore Mamapedia

restless sleeping