Fever,throwing up and Augmentin //// PLEASE HELP ME////

I took my 8 month old into the er with a 103.0 temp and they looked in his ear and said he has fluid which I guess the dr overlooked the day before at his checkup.They gave me Augmentin and we left. He was doing fine then he woke up with the fever back and when I went to give him tylenol about an hour after I feed and gave him the Augmentin he projected throw up twice everywhere.now he still has a fever because after I gave him tylenol he threw it up and I know I cant give him more because it might cause an overdose.Im just so nervous. the dr said dont nurse him just give him clear liquids and if he throws up again go to the er.I am going to be up all night making sure he doesnt choke on his vomit. Has this happened to anyone or know why it could be happening to my baby???

please help im so worried

the main thing is " don't panic". childrens motrin (it's orange) reduces fever IMMEDIATELY. a cool towel every 15 minutes might help too ( not too cold) don't stop breast feeding, i agree with the others on that, Don't lay the baby down after feedings keepem sorta upright. also you cant mix the milk with medicine, so you might want to give him the medicine a little while after feeding and deffinetly see another doctor soon. if that dosent help to be safe go ahead and take him to er. that "up all night with a sick baby" thing, WELCOME TO MOMMYHOOD ( SMILE)

I have one child that is allergic to augmentin... He exhibited vomiting and a rash. We discovered it when he was less than a year old.
Ear infections are bad about making children dizzy and nauseous. It throw off our balance when we get fluid in there.

I know this is gross, but get suppositories. It won't upset the tummy and absorbs quickly through the mucosal tissue.
If you get the fever down, the nausea will subside. If your child is vomiting after breast feeding, give the tummy a rest for 3 hours, advance to clear pedialyte 1 teaspoon every 15 minutes. If they keep that down after 1 hours(4 rounds) up it to a tablespoon. If after that total 5 hour span they are keeping fluids. Resume breastfeeding, make sure you haven't had any strong tasting and you drink plenty of water so you and your milk is well hydrated. This will pass. If your child becomes hard to wake, limp or unable to take fluids at all after a 12 hour period call your doctor. But getting the fever down will help settle the tummy. Viral illnesses can coincide with bacterial ones and can take 7-10 days to start to turn around.

K-
Keep nursing, it's best for M. Hang in there and alternate between Mortin and Tylenol. Cool baths also work. I would call your ped. and update her on your trip to the ER. Hang in there.
me..

I would get a second opinion on not nursing. Breastmilk is likely to help settle his stomach AND keep him hydrated. The vomiting is most likely caused by the Augmentin. Here is some info on it : http://www.drugs.com/augmentin.html

Take rubbing alcohol, and rub him down on all his joints (nowhere near his gentials or his face), then wrap him in a blanket, like you do a newborn. Within an hour and a half, his fever should break. He will cool down real fast, with the rubbing alcohol.

Call the pediatrician and tell them you refuse to use the augmentin any more. Be very firm! They'll prescribe something else.

That's just my guess, but I had a similar experience with my first son, who does not respond well to augmentin. [he is not allergic to penicillin, just sensitive to augmentin] It kills the good bacteria in their digestive systems. Other antibiotics do too, but augmentin seems to be the worst. My other son can take it (with some diarrhea) but not my older.

Oh, and use a warm (not cold) bath or warm wet washclothes to keep his temperature down. Not ice or anything too cold - you might send his body into shock if you lower the temp too quickly.

As your baby is older than 6 months it is okay to give water if he can't keep breastmilk down but I would try to nurse first before giving water. However, I would alternate between giving Tylenol and Mortin every 3 hours that way the Tylenol and Mortin would be every 6 hours. If your baby isn't keeping any fluids down I would go back to the ER. The vomiting might be a sensitivity to the Augmentin but it could also be a result of the fever.

1 / 3