Fever in 18 Month Old - How Long Before Acetometaphin / Tylenol Works?

I have an 18 month old who is experiencing her first fever! How long does it take for the Tylenol to bring it back down to normal?

Thanks to everyone to let me know how to handle the first fever for my 18 month old. She responded to Tylenol and then the fever came back the next morning. After another dose of Tylenol it went away and did not come back. She had no other symptoms unless she is getting her 2yr molars early, but I cannot see them. She may have a little bit of sinus drainage, but it is clear, so maybe it was allergy related.
Thanks again everyone...TS

Hi T.S. with my boys tylenol didn't work, only motrin did. If you are not having any success with the tylenol, I suggest trying the motrin. L. S.

Every time my son gets a fever my doctor has told me to get him down to his diaper. Give him the Tylenol (takes about 15-20min to kick in) and then get a wet cool wash cloth and wet down his face, neck, and hair. This is the fastes way to break the fever. I can normally get his fever to start to come down by the time the tylenol kicks in. I hope this helps!

Always talk to your doctor if you are concerned, if you callt hey will give you advice over the phone! As a med student and mother of 2 I completely disagree with the first poster who said not to give meds and that even a 105 degree fever and seizures were nothing to worry about....if 103 the baby needs to be seen right away. Yes it could just be avirus that will go away in a couple of days but at high temps brain damage and dehydration are a big risk for young ones. High fevers are nothing to mess with so always take the her temp to know exactly what it is. At this age you can also give motrin which does work quick and last longer.

Hope she gets better!

Just for the sake of it, undressing is to an extent ok, but do be careful that your child is dressed comfortably. A chill can send a fever skyrocketing dangerously (so if you're tempted to try a cold bath or something - don't) Lukewarm baths can help to bring down a dangerous fever by absorbing some of the heat from the body, and cool compresses (again not cold) on forehead, wrists, and/or back of neck can help as well. Change as needed. My sister was in children's hospital with a child who's parents tried to "bring down a fever" using cold, which skyrocketed the fever dangerously, sent him into seizures, and the kid last we knew was a vegetable for life. SO - I do advise letting a fever run it's course as much as possible... (Our bodies are meant to keep us well, and medications have so many side effects and dangers that we often come to understand too late.)...HOWEVER, DO monitor the fever closely. A high fever can lead to febrile seizures and be life-threatening. (I'm not trying to scare you or anything, most fevers pass fine and are well below the danger zone - I'm just saying use caution and your own good judgement/gut feeling) If you're afraid it is getting close to the "danger zone", try losing a layer of clothing, grabbing a lighter blanket for your little one, or trying some cool compresses. Of course Tylenol is always available when all else fails, but as others have stated, it often takes around 40 min to work.

depends on what is causing the fever... did the pediatrician tell you to give tylenol? a lot of times tylenol works in 30-45 minutes fyi :)

you know most fevers are there for a reason and unless its extremely high and other methods dont sooth your child it really should be a last resort to give a child a fever reducing medicine. of course each parent has there own technique so please dont think I am TELLING you what to do :), you can google and perhaps ask your doc!

sorry your baby is sick

here I googled this to help explain :)
We are constantly bombarded with pharmaceutical ads for OTC fever and pain relievers. The result: Our culture has developed a fear of fever, when in reality fever can be our ally. In children, for example, fever's destruction of bacteria is an important way to build up young immune systems.

Just what is a fever and what does it do? Fever is an elevation in body temperature in response to infection or other illness. When an infection or illness is detected, a part of the brain called the hypothalamus triggers the body to mount a fever to ward off invaders. This mobilizes white blood cells to surround and engulf bacteria, viruses and other Toxins. Essentially, your body burns up the invaders, explains Dr. Kruzel. In most adults, a fever does its optimal work at 102 degrees, and then breaks.

DRINK LOTS OF FLUIDS

Whatever other steps you take to intervene with a fever, don't forget this age-old one - drink plenty of fluids. Don't allow yourself to become dehydrated, cautions Dr. Kruzel. To replace fluids lost through Sweating, keep water, juice, seltzer, tea and soup close at hand. It can also be very refreshing to suck on popsicles. (To keep the sugar content under control, I make my family popsicles using diluted fruit juice.)

REST IS ESSENTIAL

Another oldie but goodie - get plenty of rest. Left to its own resources, this would be the body's natural response to fever, notes Dr. Kruzel. It's called "adaptive withdrawal," and children and animals still respond this way. When they develop a fever, they naturally grow more subdued. Most adults respond instead by fighting a fever, says Dr. Kruzel. They take a Tylenol and tough it out, insisting on going to work and meeting social obligations. .. when listening to their bodies and taking it easy would in reality help them get better faster.

In my experience it took about an hour or so, sometimes they need a repeated dose, or Motrin instead of Tylenol. Each one works differently and brings down different types of fevers. It her fever does not go away or continues to come back, make sure you call your dr. Hope this helps

Usually within an hour. In the meantime, don't be tempted to give your baby another dose before the next scheduled time.

Undress your baby down to the diaper. I did this with my daughter this past winter. Even before the Tylenol took effect, she was running around as if she was not sick.

Call your doctor's office and ask them about dosage amounts for all the fever reducers available (I did this a lot too since my baby was so sick so often).

It will take at least 30 min, sometimes longer. If the fever is high or she is uncomfortable, a bath (it doesn't have to be cold) has always worked for us almost immediately.

God's blessings to you.

1 / 3