Fever for 6 Days? - Lakewood,CA

hi my 6 year old son had a fever starting sunday night. i took him to dr on tuesday and they have him 5 day antibiotic for bronchitis. six days later he is still running a fever 1o2.7. i don't know what to do? i called doc yesterday and they said keep giving him fluids and rest.

thank you so much for all your advice!!! i truly appreciate it! all 3 boys have finally come thru okay. bronchitis and a round of 5 day antibiotics. i think what happened was that we kept giving tylenol and advil round the clock and the fever didn't have enough umph! doctor said to only give it if fever is over 102 degrees. so finally on the 7th day he was okay. i can't thank you all enough!!!

after the third day in a row that his fever has not broke I would of had him in the ER. if his fever has not broken at all meaning gone down to normal for at least all day long then at night went back to 102, and this is the 6 th day , is he eating drinking peeing, sleeping, maybe you should get another thermonitor, could be giving false reading

My son had a fever that started last thursday for 4 days ...it seemed like he was getting better but he came home really tired on Tuesday and fell asleep at 4pm, he stayed home Wed, went back to school on Thurs and we got a call around 11am his fever was back...took him to the dr. he has pnemonia in his lower lung. They gave him 2 antibiotic shot right there in the office and is on a 10 dose of augmentin (its a little stronger that the pink stuff). You should really take him back and make them take an x-ray to see if it is pnemonia...he may need a stronger antibiotic. Best Wishes & Good Luck.

A fever for 6 days is reason to be concerned and even more concern when he is on antibiotics and STILL running the fever. The antibiotics must not be working and the doc should be concerned. He should be running blood tests and a urine test (to check for UTI). I am not a doctor, but my daughter has had many complications and I have learned that you must be your child's advocate and be insistent when your instincts say to be. Last year my daughter had a fever for 2 weeks, after the 3rd GP appointment she sent us to Children's Hospital. Ended up that she had an abscess really far down in her throat. She needed really intensive antibiotic treatment through an IV.

Don't be afraid to be insistent. Our doctor did not believe us at first that she had been running a fever for that long. We finally showed her a calendar that marked the days her symptoms began, then took us seriously. Even great doctors can make mistakes about diagnosis (we have a great pedi and we don't hold a grudge against her).

Insist on another appointment. Document the symptoms on a calendar and when antibiotic treatment began. If you doc won't listen, it won't hurt to go to an ER.

My eldest son had a fever lasting several days this winter as well. Fever is the body's response to fighting off infection. While it's uncomfortable, it is helpful. I know it can be scary. Giving pain releivers/fever reducers will only tell his immune system that it can take a break so it will inhibit his natural response. Check with your pediatrician to be sure, but I'll bet there's nothing to worry about. I let my kids stay hot with low fevers and only try to cool them when it gets dangerously high, which hasn't happened. Just be there to comfort him. Lots of reading to him, cuddling, baths, warm tea with honey. Maybe even some wholesome t.v. shows. Best Wishes!

Why aren't they checking him for Pneumonia or something?
And WHY have they not had you come in for a follow-up? That is standard procedure at our pediatrician.
Your Doc seems to be blowing this off... I would think your child needs a re-evaluation... if anything.

IF he has had a fever for that long, despite being on antibiotics, you NEED to take him back to the Doctor. Sometimes, after taking antibiotics, a secondary infection can develop.... which something is going on because he STILL has a fever.

Or take him to the ER since they may be more responsive.
ASAP.

AND how is your son's disposition? Does he have any other symptoms- you mentioned only the fever. Is he Lethargic? Labored breathing? Blue tinged skin/nails? Wheezing? Any mucous? Coughing? Did they tell you whether it was a bacterial OR a viral Bronchitis?????
AND if he just is presenting a Fever... then why and how did they diagnose "Bronchitis?"

If anything, they should check him to see if the "bronchitis" is clearing up.... and with bronchitis, there is usually more than a fever....

Here are some links:
http://familydoctor.org/online/famdocen/home/children/par...
http://pediatricadvice.net/2007/02/dear-lisa-ive-read-ove...

All the best,
Susan

Take him to the E.R. immidiately that is too many days to have a fever period. Or see if your private doc can see him TODAY. If not, E.R.

ps I'm a nurse

Hi N.:
I concur with SH. Your Doctor should have requested a follow-up,and because he still has a fever,I'd insist on getting an appointment. Experts say after 6 days,of fever,to get him back in.If your Doctor is to swamped, then take him to someone else.I wish your darlin son a speedy recovery. J. M

Hey N.,
You need a new doc. Call your friends and find a good one. Your child's body is trying to fight something off, it's important to find out exactly what it is, and what med. if any would be most appropriate. Your "mamas" intuition tells you something is wrong, find another doc. There are lots of them that would be happy to treat your child. :)
Good luck to you all,
V.

1 / 3