Fever/chills Questions

Hello,
I am the mother of a beauuutiful 2 year old little girl. Lately whenever she has a fever over 100.5 she gets really bad chills.....goosebumps, shivering, teeth chattering, etc. She has been fighting a cold. I took her to the ER last week b/c she's had a couple of seizures in the past related to a dehydration and was concerned that it was happening again b/c of the fever. They said she's fine. Just a bad cold, no infections, not to worry. Oh also, when she starts to shiver, she vomits. I'm not sure what this is all about. This morning, she told me that her mouth hurts and sure enough, she's getting molars in the back. So this might be the reason for the fevers also. My question is...what do i do about the chills and fevers? It doesn't seem right to wipe her down with a luke warm cloth if she's cold or turn on the fan. And it doesn't seem right to wrap her up in blankets if she has a fever. I'm not sure what to do? Thank you for any help and opinions I get on this. :-)

I believe that the chills and vomiting is just a body's way of reacting to the fever. 100.5 is not really that high of a fever so if that's the case, I would give her an extra blanket or sweatshirt for a little bit. Of course, if the fever is higher than that, a lukewarm bath and some Motrin/Tylenol is the way I would go. Also, don't be afraid to call your pediatrician any time of day! That's why they're there! I would check into the seizure thing too. Mom's have to go by their guts sometimes! Good luck!

I don't understand why anyone is telling you to wrap your child in a blanket when she has a fever. Anyone who has ever had a fever knows that wrapping up in a blanket doesn't even help. It's not a cold chill. It's the body reacting to the fever. A blanket will not help, it will only make her fever rise. Give her Tylenol or Motrin or both. Ask her doctor about piggy backing the meds. Recently I had to take my 2 year old to the ER because his fever got up to 104 and I couldn't get it below 102. They made me unwrap, and undress him down to a diaper. I didn't even think of putting him a cool bath. Wish I had because that's one of the things they did with him there. But also they piggy backed his tylenol and motrin. He was given a dose of tylenol and when his fever didn't go down they gave him a dose of motrin 45 minutes later. I'm not telling you to do that without the advice of your child's doctor though.

Have you considered that your daughter's natural body temp may be lower then 98.6 (my husband's is)? If that's the case then a 100 degree temp is higher for her then it is for most. So she needs meds to bring it down. Your daughter could also have a virus causing her fever. Obviously there are no antibiotics for a virus. You just have to wait it out. In the mean time you will need to give her meds or a luke warm bath, or just a cold wash cloth on her forehead. Even if she doesn't like it. Then once her fever has broken you can comfort her and wrap her in a blanket. Hope she's feeling better soon.

If she is shivering like that, definitely wrap her in a blanket. The body is pretty good about telling you what it wants. If they have a low fever like that and feel cold, there is nothing wrong with a blanket. If they begin to feel hot they will throw the blanket off. My kids always do. But that feeling of being cold when you have a fever is unbearable...definitely need a blanket.

100.5 is low fever. it could be she's feverish due to molars coming out. my kids get very high fever and that causes them to shiver and their lips turning purple. i always give them a lukewarm bath, and wife their forehead and feet with lukewarm cloth. give her motrin if it gets to 101. no need for her to suffer.

Acetaminophen products have never worked on fever for my kids or me. Ibuprofen (Motrin/Advil) seem to work much better.

1 / 3