Fertility - Ballston Spa,NY

I am currently trying to get pregnant with my third child. We have been trying since late December, and nothing. My other 2 children ages 4 and 1/2 and 2 took about 6 mos. and 4 mos. to concieve. My periods had always been irregular (other than when I was on the pill), but became much more regular since having children. I have not been on the pill at all for about 18 mos. (was on it while breastfeeding my son, but then stopped). Anyway, my cycles are really long (usually 5-6 weeks), so it is very discouraging each cyle that passes not being pregnant again. We have tried ov. predictor kits on occasion, though it gets expensive (helped concieve my daughter) and we have sex every other day for most of the month. I guess, at this point I am just wondering if anybody has had success with natural methods to improve hormone balance, ovulation, or overall fertility? I should add that since having my son, I actually lost wieght (especially in my boobs) while not trying to! I eat a relatively healthy diet, but do indulge in ice cream and love carbs. I'm probably am considered underweight, though I eat a ton and have a high metabolism- I have succeeded gaining a little wieight recently, though havn't really changed much of my habits. I have heard of the supplement Vitex helping, along with things such as green tea that may help. Any other ideas?

I love acupuncture!!!! I had infertility too - irregular periods. Nothing helped fix me but acupuncture. Conventional medicine got me pg through IVF, but were diagnosing me with early menopause. No more early menopause after acupuncture!

www.fertilityfriend.com helped me learn more about my body and cycles and really helped me get in tune with my fertility...
ovulation strips are really cheap on amazon.com if you buy in bulk - check out www.peeonastick.com - the cheap ones work just as well if not better than the expensive ones!
i've heard acupuncture works well but never tried it!
Having bloodwork (like someone said - thyroid being unregulated can hurt fertility) is a good idea!
We tried for 3 years before we got pregnant with our twins last July! Good luck!! :)

The only thing I can tell you is don't drink green tea while you are trying to get pregnant. I don't think I realized this in my other pregnancies but with this one I learned you aren't supposed to drink anything that has to do with antioxidants because it can affect the baby's development.

Have you talked to your GYN to see if they have suggestions? Perhaps they need to get you on a fertility med that would put you on a schedule.

Best of luck!

We have the book The Infertility Diet by Fern Reiss, which compiles a lot of research in terms of which foods encourage fertility (for example, garlic and cruciferous vegies) and which to avoid (most green leaves like parsley/basil, also peas...). and I also think green tea helps.
good luck!

Have you tried charting your temp? Basal body temp chart for your cycle? It took me 18 months to get pregnant with my son and I charted for the last 3 months of trying and it really worked...I was skeptical about it.

http://www.babyhopes.com/articles/bbt-chart.html

It is work but it is something to consider.

Have you had your thyroid checked? You could have hypothyroidism, which increases metabolism. This could explain your losing weight without trying. Also, thyroid problems can interfere with getting pregnant.

Just to clarify someone elses answer... hypothyroidism can cause fertility issues but does not cause higher metabolism and weight loss that is caused by hyperthyroidism which also causes fertility issues.
So think about getting your thyroid levels checked and also maybe your estrogen and testosterone. There are chinese herbs (I do not know the names) for the hormone levels and any thyroid issues are easily corrected with medication.

This is just my two cents worth, but have you considered going to an infertility specialist? They can do sonograms to see what day of your cycle you are on and tell you what the optimum time to have sex and conceive is. My periods have always been abnormal i.e. never have one and then have one for 2 months. The infertility Dr. helped aid in finding ovulation and my fertile times. That is how I got baby bean #1 and we will be trying for baby bean #2 shortly.

1 / 3