Fenugreek for Milk Supply?

I am trying to find out how much Fenugreek to take and how often. Any ideas out there?

My supply decreased after Mastitis and if I don't get an increase soon I will have to start formula for my six week old.

Please help.

Thank you.

Take three capsules three times a day with food for a total of nine capsules a day. This worked wonders for my milk supply! I recently gave birth and had trouble with milk supply for the first and this really helped up my supply with my next two. Good luck!

I took 2 fenugreek a day and I also drank mothers milk tea one to two times a day. It really helped with my milk supply. Good luck to you

I would try a product called More Milk Plus. It's a liquid tincture made from fenugreek and some other herbs (all natural) and it's very effective and very easy to use and you won't have to drink tea all day long. You can find it at Whole Foods.

A close friend of mine needed to increase her milk supply so her natropath directed her to take frequent doses of fenugreek until she smelled like maple syrup. I think each body needs different amounts in order to get the effects. so my friend started out taking whatever it says on the bottle--i think two caplets three times a day and then increased it each day and i swear she did have the faintest odor of maple syup! Her supply increased and she was happy with the results. also, mastitis is from not getting the milk moving through the ducts so make sure you continue to BF your baby on BOTH sides every couple of hours. if he/she does not need both sides (my daughter didn't when she was that age) go ahead and pump the other side. I know it's a pain but if you don't empty your breasts out completely every so often you can get mastitis (and your bod gets the signal to produce less) I pumped and BF for the first few months to make sure my supply was well established and then stopped pumping when she had a big enough tummy to drink from both breasts. stick with it...even some breast milk is better than none at all! hope this helps!

Check out www.kellymom.com
It's an incredible site all about breastfeeding support!

Nurse as much as you possibly can!

I took 3 fenugreek capsules and 3 blessed thistle capsules 3 times a day. Drink lots and lots of water! It works great, and was a lifesaver!!!!

When I started Fenugreek I had a hard time finding a proper dosage. Mine were 1500mg and said to take 3 daily. That amount alone didn't seem to make a difference (although my little one did start to gain) and I didn't have the maple syrup smell. I gradually started increasing until I found a place I was happy with. Now I have enough for my supply but if I was pumping to store I would take additional. I only am doing 4-6 a day right now. I ran out two days ago and I can see a difference already. I think you just have to experiment to find out whats best for your body and supply.

Be careful with megadoses of fenugreek. It has led to peanut allergies in babies on occasion.

Try the book "Mother Food" by Hilary Jacobson. It has foods/herbs to eat to increase supply and foods/herbs not to eat that decrease supply.

It was recommended to me by a lactation nurse. It is a nursing bible!

I used this when I was working full-time and pumping at work (no formula) and it helped some. You do have to take a lot and it might make your milk smell a tad like maple syrup, but it does help a bit. Just hang in there, give it a try, and be sure to talk to a lactation consultant if you need help. Remember, breastmilk is produced on a supply/demand basis. If you keep pumping and nursing, your body should respond naturally and return to supplying what is needed!

1 / 3