Female Physician Advice - Stay with Ob/Gyn or Go with Family Practice

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else was in the same boat.

I am done having kids, so I really don't need an Ob anymore and I really want to just do the yearly checkup only. The gynecologist usually doesn't do a full yearly physical, like checking heart and cholesterol and such.

Are other people in the same boat where they don't need the full ob/gyn services, and want all things checked at the yearly, and have found that a family practice or general practitioner better suited to do that?

Thanks for your thoughts.
E.

My baby is 19 and i still see my OB-GYN yearly. "Female" issues still come up.

I would never see a family physician for a yearly pap smear! One month your in there and he's checking your throat and ears, the next month he's looking at your vagina? I don't think so! Specialists are specialist for a reason!!! What does a family practitioner know about a womans's vaginal/cervical health?

Yes. I switched from an OB to a regular doctor. I was tired of just being a uterus to my doctor, and wanted to know my cholesterol levels, BMI, I wanted a doctor I could go to for an earache or a flu shot. I switched to a family doctor and have been very pleased with the care I've received!

You could do a Nurse Practitioner-- they are very good and are able to spend more time with you as needed. I prefer NP over family practice doctors--just my 2 cents.! Good luck!

I still use a ob/gyn for my female stuff and a family practice doctor for everything else. I just can't quite get used to the idea of the same doctor checking my throat and ears or treating me for a sinus infection being the same doctor to look "down there" ! And my family has some history of breast, ovarian, and cervical cancer. I want a specialist looking for all that.

I would change, because they will do the same things the ob will and more. Also you wont ever have to wait longer in the doctors office. OB's have to go deliver babies and are late for the appointments at times. It has happened to me before and I had to wait over an hour past my appointment.
But either are fine.

1 / 3