Fellow Moms Personal Experience with the IUD

I'm 28 and my husband's 31. We have one child, a son,who will be 3 in June and we are not sure if we want any more children. We are not at a point in our lives where more kids sounds rational. Yet, I'm not willing to get a tubal or ask him to get a vasectomy. I've been on the patch before & had major skin irratation as well as constant nausea, to name a couple of it's side effects i got. Right now I'm stuck with the mini pill because I have high blood pressure and it's really hard for me to remember to take it. I've always had irregular periods...would skip a mo, have for 2 mo, skip 2-3 and so on. But I'm really looking at getting the IUD. I've done a lot of reasearch about the logistics of the IUD, So i would like responses about personal experiences?

Well i got a ton of helpful feed back so i decided to go ahead and get the IUD. And i did it on Thur., June 13th. (yesterday) I had a little cramping and a tiny bit of spotting the same day but nothing i couldn't deal with. Today has been quite a bit better, still some light cramping but no spotting ...so far, it's been pretty easy. I'll just have to see what happens in the next few months. thanks to all that gave me great feedback. Jan 27th...I got the IUD taken out about a week and a 1/2 ago. I was having really bad abdomanal pain wich was causing my already messed up back to act up. When it was removed the Dr said i had a little iritation but nothing else looked wrong. I just went back to the pill but this time the regular pill. Only, since i'm on blood pressure medication. I still think the IUD was good for me until the end and would suggest it.

I had my first child in August and got the Medermna (sp) in October. I am very happy with it, I have only had one period since having my son and I love the fact that I don't have to remember anything everyday or do anything when the mood strikes. My partner sometimes feels the strings while were having sex but he said it doesn't bother him. The one thing that I have had to take into consideration is that after having sex I often spot lightly for the following day. Compelatly normal but when you haven't had a period in.. going on a year and a half it can catch you off guard.

I had great success with an IUD, I had the Paraguard (the one without hormones) as I was breastfeeding and didn't want to have birth control with hormones, which eliminates many of the choices. I had the IUD put in 2 1/2 months after my son was born (condoms worked fine in the mean time) and I had it in for 2 1/2 years with no problems what-so-ever. I had it taken out Dec 4th and found out I was pregnant Feb 4th. So I would have to give it a great recommendation!

M. F.

I got the hormone IUD at the end of March. It's been just fine, I've had a little cramping but that's it. There are two kinds, the hormone one and the copper one. My sister has the copper one and she also is doing just fine. The nice thing is that the hormone one lasts five years and the copper one lasts ten years, but you can have them removed at any time.

I had the Mirena IUD inserted over a year ago and have had no problems at all with it. Due to the fact that I was working in OB/GYN, I was able to hear a lot of opinions before I got it. Since it has a small amount of hormones imbedded in it, and the hormones are localized, you don't get the cramping that other IUDs are notorious for. And the hormones don't cause problems with high blood pressure either. ( I also have high blood pressure and the pill was not an option in my case)

My husband and I have three children and decided that we are happy with three. Our Doctor talked to us about the IUD do to the fact she thought we both were too young to have the tubal or vasectomy done at that time (back in 2000) And so I did get the IUD and I have not had any trouble with it in fact I LOVE it... It sure does beat the pill etc that I was on before... The one thing I have found a problem for some that are on the IUD is that you need to check and make sure before hand that it is still in place... Or you may just end up with another..

Again my experience has been wonderful! I am thankful the Doctor talked to us and gave us that option.
Good luck on your decision!

I have the Merina IUD. We have three boys and we're not sure yet if we're going to try for a girl. :) It's really great so far, but I've only had mine for a few months. I got it on the recommendation of my OB and my sister who has had a paragard for 9 years. My OB won't give anyone the paragard unless there is a clear problem with hormones. Mirena lightens your periods without the side effects of weight gain, etc. I've seen people complain about gaining weight on the Mirena, but when I talked to my Doctor she said that this is not the cause.

For everyone it's different, but there is some brief pain when they put it in and then a little cramping for a day or so. In my opinion, if you can handle your period, you can handle this. Taking the pill is annoying everyday while this is very low maintenance. I would recommend this to anyone.

I would not recommend a tubal. It's a surgery for you and you can't change your mind in a couple years. My husband will get a vasectomy once we're sure we're done. We made a deal - I have the kids and he gets "snipped" when we're done.

Best of luck!

I had 3 children (boys) in 3 years and after the last one got the paraguard (copper) IUD. I was only 22 and did NOT want to have anything permanent done and I can not handle the hormones from pills. It worked great and I had it removed 7 years later to try to have our last baby. We had a beautiful baby girl 2 years later and after some complicated insurance reasons I went with the Mirena IUD. This one is only good for 5 instead of 10 years and I was assured that the hormones are only released locally, so there's very little risk of side effects. I have had spotting since insertion 2 months ago, but this is normal for up to 3 months following. After this is "expired" (or possibly before) I will be having some sort of sterilization surgery, but this got me to that point without another (complicated) pregnancy!
Just do lots of research and make your own decision with recommendations from your doctor. Just make sure to do what you want, not what your doctor wants to do.

I had the mirena IUD for two years after my first child was born and loved it! Never even knew it was there, no funny side effects, and NO periods the whole time! I had it removed in January and was pregnant by April, so when the time comes that you decide you do want another kid it was really easy for us. I have had friends who didn't like the synthetic hormones it releases but most people love it that i've talked to. I have one friend who has the copper IUD and likes that too. Talk to your doctor!

Your experience with b.c. sounds a lot like my sister. She wasn't able to wear the patch for the same reasons you mentioned (though I myself, loved it!), the pill had major side effects as well. BUT, she now has the IUD and has for about 2 years and loves it, as far as b.c. goes. She has a very small amount of irregularity with her periods... things like them not being the same from month to month as far as flow (heavy or light), they might be a day or two off every few months, she might have a lot of cramping as a warning that it's coming... or she may have nothing at all.
If you would like to talk to her, I can get her email address to you, just let me know.

I currently have an IUD, I got it in December after having my first child. I didn't want to go back on the pill after my daughter was born because for one thing I was breastfeeding and I don't want to have to go through the waiting again when we decide to have another. The only issue I have had with mine is the day it was put it was a bit more uncomfotable than I had expected so I would reccommend taking ibuprofen before going in. Part of the reason mine was more uncomfortable was because there was an issue with the canal when inserting it, other than that its great. I don't have to remember to take a pill like I used to and I don't have to worry about the hormone circulating out of my body if we decide to have another.

R.-

I had the Mirena IUD placed about 5 months ago. It was an almost painless procedure, (actually I hardly felt a thing). My periods have been almost clockwork regular, but getting lighter each month. It's nice because I don't have to remember to take a pill (I'm a disorganized thinker). And I don't have to mess with any other kind of birth control for the next 5 years! There have been some side-effects, more than what the docs will tell you. Like I got some of my early-pregnancy symptoms (they came and went, and I did take a test which came back negative). My hormones went a little wonky for a few weeks kinda like perma-pms (so not fun). But now things have calmed down quite a bit.

All in all, I'm so glad I got my IUD. I sometimes wish I'd gotten it sooner, but if I had... I wouldn't have my beautiful 6-month-old daughter.

Best of luck to you!
-B.-

1 / 3