Feet

my 26 month old look like she is oigeon toed - her feet turn inward when she walks. when i was her age my mom said i was the same way. she said that the doctors put my feet in casts trying to straighten them out but she said that didnt work so she ended up putting my shoes on the wrong feet and they straigtened out. should i do the same thing or will they straighten out on their own? please help. thank u J.

I am a pediatrician at UAB. I suggest making her an appointment with Orthopaedics to see what the latest technologies are.

My grandaughters did too and the dr. Put her shoes on the wrong feet and tied them firmly. Not sandles boots and then good tennys. Shes fine now. Unless its really bad try that.
A granny

I've known a few people who have had children that that has happened to. Some of them did put the shoes on the wrong feet and it worked for them, a couple of them went and got this shoes that are made for that. They are made for the child's feet and and there are expensive but they say those work. I use to work in day care and one of the little girls had to get them and they look like regular shoes.

Listen to your mother if she say that you where like that and the child's doctor is a good doctor. Just keep track and go from there.

TO be on the safe side I recommend checking it out with Shriner's Hospital. My daughter had two surgeries with them to correct webbed fingers. She is still under observation with them because she has an extra toe on her left foot. Anything they do is free of charge to you no matter your income. We loved our experience. You can check out their website if you like!

My son is 3 1/2 and he's pigeon toed. It started when he began to walk and got bad enough that he was tripping over his own feet. We took him to the doctor and she told us his tibias were twisted( worse on his right foot than left) She said he should grow out of it by the time he is 5 or 6 and if not they can do surgery to correct it. She also said that it would do no good to fit him for shoes because it wasnt his feet at all. My in-laws were telling me to put his shoes on the wrong feet too and I asked the dr about it. She said they did that back in the day and the only reason it seemed to work is the children grew out of their conditions. Putting their shoes on the wrong feet did nothing but make them uncomfortable. Please don't. If it is something to do with her feet they can fit her for shoes that will help and wont be nearly as uncomfortable! But the dr will be able to help you and if it is a "wait and see" thing then you can always do something about it later if she doesnt grow out of it. Good Luck!

Avoid any future regrets and follow a doctor's orders - this nothing to second-guess!

My son who is almost 31 had trouble walking. He walked heal to heal. About 20 months of age someone got us into the Shrine's program for children. It turned out that he had deformed Tibias. But they did not want to do surgery as he was just walking good and it might frustrate him. Due to his problem his ankles were weak so he was given little brown shoes to support his ankles. Today when he catches himself waddling like a duck He still does this when he runs. He will straighten his feet on his own. I waited too longer actually was not aware there was aproblem. Please take your little darling to your DR and a specialist. ther is more that can be domne today than 30 yrs ago. M.

MY name is M., I have a five year old daughter. She had the same problem when she started walking. The drs. just keep telling me that it was cause she started walking at 7 months and her feet were still developing. They told me to get her some shoes with better support and it would help her out.. I did and it work.. I went out and got her some Nike shocks. To the day she has problems with walking funny when she is wearing flip flops during the summer.. As much as I hate to make her wear tennie shoes i have no choice.. she just need a little support.. I would try just getting her some nice good shoes and if that dont work bring it up to the dr bout getting her braces or something for her feet.. I have heard that braces are the way to go..

hope all works out for you.
Im 23 years old. been married for 4 years now and work in the nursing field.. Going to start LPN school this fall.

I know this goes against the American Orthepaedic foot and Ankle Society. But my daughter did not start having proplmes with this until she was 4 yrs and a few months old. We went through the whole ordeal of x-rays, boone scans, etc. The conclusion was with in the last 4 months she had out grown her shoes we had bought for her in germany and withthe return to the great USA or childs shoe ware went down hill. I started looking back at the European shoes she has wornsinceshe was walking they all have an arch. Today being 5 and now in a 12, I have yet to find a shoe that has and arch. She has been wearing custom made shoe inserts which has help develop a slight arch, and her feet have begun tostart turning correctly.

Pediatric doctor should have done a physical on your baby which included hip placement. The main concern is the hip and the bone growth. Many will develope fine, but please have her bone development checked before you decide to put the wrong shoes on her feet.

1 / 3