Feeling Sea Sick, but Not on a Boat

I was wondering if this has happened to anyone out there. I have been sick since Tuesday. I have been vomiting off and on since then. I have no flu symptoms, no fever, no explanation for my nausea. I am not pregnant either. I feel like I am sea sick, but I have not been on a boat in at least a year. I called the advice nurse, but they just suggested I drink lots of fluids, etc. Has this happened to anyone else?
Thanks, M.

Thanks for all the advise. I still dont know what was wrong with me, but I am feeling alot better. I guess what ever it is has passed. Thanks again!

Hello M.,
Do you feel like the room is spinning? There is a diorder called "vertigo" that can mimick the signs and symptoms of being sea sick. Enclosed is the National Institute of Health's info on dizziness and vertigo.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/dizzinessandvertigo.html
Wishing you a quick recovery.
JW

I would look up vertigo, on google. It is an inner ear problem that makes you feel sea sick. I don't know the cause or how to get rid of it but I bet you can do some research. hope you feel better soon.

Have you been tested for diabetes or hypoglycemia? Hypoglycemia is low blood sugar and can give the same symptoms as you have. I get it sometimes and I'll eat a piece of chocolate and that usually helps.

Are you dizzy? You didn't say. If you are you may have a middle ear problem. The doctors can give you something if you are dizzy, that helps the sea sick feeling.

Hope your feeling better soon.

Independent Shaklee Distributor
See my Mamasource special

After thinking about this for a while, I wonder if you are not suffering from allergies. Some people get allergies so badly that they get dizzy from ear and sinus congestion and vomit from all the mucous they are swallowing. An easy test for this is to try taking some liquid Benadryl. At first, it may may you sleepy, but it's a very simple antihistamine that will calm a queasy stomach.

My most recent bouts with nausea were due to gallstones. My liver panel results were dangerously high, but it turned out the whole problem was my gall bladder. I hope that's not your problem!

You probably have Vertigo. I had it earlier this year and the Dr. prescribed an anti-dizziness pill and an antibiotic to clear up what she thought might have been an ear infection from a few weeks back that had moved into my inner ear.

Call the doctor back and explain to the nurse that you have vertigo (a disturbance in your middle ear that causes nausea and 'sea sickness') and ask to see an ENT. In the meantime, suck on hard candies, and take some ginger which will help a bit.

And shame on the nurse for not figuring this out!!

Dear M.,
What's happening to you sounds a lot like what happened to me. I think you might have an inner ear problem or infection. That can cause nausea, vertigo and vomiting. Check with a Dr. or maybe call the advice nurse for advise on what to do for a suspected inner ear infection.
I'm not sure...I'm not a nurse or anything, but I hope this helps. A..

Could be vertigo or minears disease. However it could be as simple as extreme wax build up in your ears (you can't see it or get at it, but your doctor can). My father had the same symptoms and when he went to the dr, all they had to do was clean out his ears. Problem solved! No matter what, you need to get in to see the dr, not talk to the nurse on the phone. They should run a blood serum pregnancy test too, just to be sure you are not pregnant - sometimes home tests aren't the most reliable.

Yup...had the exact same thing. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with benign positional vertigo. Apparently little calcium crystals get lodged in the semi-circular canals in your ear and give you the sensation that everything is moving. It's very disconcerting! I slept upright (45 degree angle) for a few days and figured that sleeping on my right side made it worse, so avoided that and it just went away. There is a procedure called The Epley's Manouever, which some chiropractors and ENT's know about, or there is a spinning chair that some use to get the crystals to move, but otherwise there is no cure and it's self-remitting, and goes away as mysteriously as it came. I hope this is what it is, and hope this helps!
J

1 / 3