Feeling like I Cant Breath/ Have to Cough

I will start this by saying I am allergic to nothing but bee's.

My throat is tight. I feel like there is something stuck in there that is stopping me from getting a good breath. I have tried coughing and it really sounds horrible (wet). But nothing comes up. It started last night so I am going to see if it is just a cold... If it starts getting worse I will get in but right now it is just uncomfortable.

any idea's... Just hay fever?

Doesn't sound like allergies and I have plenty.

You can't go long without breathing so I'd see the doctor asap.

Yep - doctor. Don't take a chance. If it's nothing to worry about, you won't have to worry. If there's a real problem, the sooner you tackle it, the better. And it's certainly no fun not breathing. Call the doctor.

Oh - I had this!
It felt like I had a bit of food caught in my throat that I could not wash or swallow and I kept coughing trying to dislodge it but nothing would help.
I have hypothyroidism, so I have my thyroid monitored periodically and I began to worry that maybe it was growing or something weird was going on with it.
So I went to my ENT and he put the scope down my nose to get a good look at my throat AND
NOTHING
BUT
my esophagus near my stomach was irritated.
It turns out I was having acid reflux and instead of any burning sensation, I was getting the feeling of something being caught in my throat way higher than where the actual irritation was.
I was SO RELIEVED!
A few weeks on Prilosec and everything was great.

Just go to the Doctor.
Today.

It almost sounds like a bronchial spasm on top of some drainage. Before you go to the doc, you might try some OTC meds. Talk to your pharmacist.

Hope it gets better!

I don't think acid reflux would cause a wet cough. A wet cough is caused by extra mucous in the throat. It may be a cold.

The feeling that something is stuck can be caused by anxiety. I've had that happen to me and another friend. It's sort of like a tik. I would get anxious because the feeling wouldn't go away. The coughing irritates the throat perpetuating the cough.

Since you have a wet cough I suggest taking a cough syrup/pills? Take one that contains guaifenesin which is an expectorant which could get rid of the phlegm/mucous and stop the coughing. I usually take one that contains both an expectorant and a depressant along with an decongestant. Like Mucinex D, tho I buy the store brand. It's much cheaper.

I'd also try taking a hot shower. Fill the bathroom up with steam. This will help open up the lungs and be soothing.

I suggest calling the advice nurse before going in to the ER or the doctor. This is not life threatening. It's, as you say, uncomfortable. You've not said anything that would indicate that this is serious at all.

You have the symptoms of bronchitis at the worst. Often colds start out with tightness in the chest. And it's highly unlikely that you have anything in your throat. It's most likely that your throat is irritated by a cold.

Sounds like symptoms associated with reflux or heartburn to me. The only time I ever recall having that "something stuck in my throat" feeling, was after a really really awful round of heartburn. When I finally got started treating that properly, the feeling went away almost immediately and hasn't come back.

Are you aware of heartburn symptoms? Do you have it? Do you know? I never realized that that occasional ache in my shoulder blade area was associated with heartburn. I would randomly get that -- probably going on a couple of years-- very very minor discomfort. Couldn't even really pinpoint it. Then one day: BOOM. I seriously thought I was having a heart attack, and then by the next day I felt like I had been stabbed in the back the pain was so localized in my shoulder/back.
After getting treatment (OTC Prilosc under doctor's direction on how to use it--slightly different than just reading off the box) it cleared up and hasn't been a bit of a problem for me since then.

you could have developed allergies. I didn't have ANY allergies until I moved to Belgium....now - urgh!!!

if you don't have a fever but you can't breathe - either an anxiety attack or a bronchial spasm (like an extended hiccup). If you have shortness of breath or chest pain? Call 911.

If you can drink - try getting a Benadryl down to see if that helps. It's an antihistamine - but it might show if you have developed allergies over time. If that doesn't do anything for you and your cough is still "wet" - you MIGHT have walking pneumonia. I'm not a doctor, so I don't know!!

Hope you feel better soon!!

Sounds like pneumonia. Get to a doctor, now.

Don't wait for it to get worse. Call your dr and go.
Could be reflux.
Could also be asthma, even if you've never had it before. And an untreated asthma attack can be fatal. Go.

1 / 3