Feeding Schedule for 8-Month Old

Hi there! I just started my 8-month old on 3 solid meals a day... she has been on 2 for a few months. She also takes formula... usually a full bottle early morning and before bed, and she will take usually 2-3 oz. with her meals. Anyway... my question is... how much should she be eating? Can you give examples of what your child's feeding schedule looked like at this age? Times, how far apart, how much and what they ate, etc? Thank you so much!!!!

Thank you everyone SO MUCH for your responses!!!! It is such a great help to see what others are doing. It's tough being a first-time mommy sometimes- you worry so much! This definitely gives me an idea and some guidelines. It makes me feel better to know that we're in the ballpark! Thanks so much!!

Hi M.. This was always one area where I wish the answer was black & white, but I have discovered that every mom/baby does things just a little differently. I have a 10 month old and here is his schedule. Like previous responders have said, formula is where infants should get most of their nutrition from up to age 1.

6:00 7 oz bottle
8:30 Rice Creal & Jar of fruit
12:00 Jar of fruit or vege
3:00 7 oz bottle
5:30 Jar of vege or what ever we are having diced up
7:30 7 oz bottle before bed

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

I have 2 answers for you...LOL.

First answer: If she has no issues with food (such as someone trying to force her to eat when she's refusing or witholding food as punishment---which I'm sure you're doing neither of those), then she will most likely eat the right amount for her needs. Is she at a good weight? That will tell you if she's getting enough.

Second answer: I'm a child care provide and have nutritional guidelines that are set by the food reimbursement program. This is what I am required to offer to infants between the ages of 8 and 12 months. They may eat more or less...it just depends on the child and what kind of day he/she is having.

Breakfast:
6-8 ounces breast milk or formula,
2-4 T infant cereal,
1-4 T fruit and/or vegetable.

Lunch and Dinner:
6-8 ounces breast milk or formula,
2-4 T infant cereal and/or 1-4 T meat, fish, poultry, egg yolk, or cooked dry beans or peas, or 1/2 to 2 ounces cheese, or 1-4 ounces cottage cheese or cheese spread,
1-4 T fruit and/or vegetable

Snacks:
2-4 ounces breast milk or formula or fruit juice
0-1/2 slice bread or 0-2 crackers

Hope this helps. I can also let you know the guidelines for older children as well.

www.joyfulconnections.net

P.S. I enjoyed the site mentioned by Annette.

Our ped told us that formula should be the main source of nutrition until one year old. We did do solids, cereal for breakfast sometimes fruit, too. Veggie and or fruit for lunch and dinner was veggie and fruit. If we had something that she was able to eat, then she got some of that too.

I also NEVER gave juice. I don't to this day and she'll be two this month. I gave water with meals.

I use this site a lot for advice as well as recipes and food ideas for both of my boys. Good Luck!!
http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/solidfood8to10montholdba...

Hi M., Well my daughter is 81/2 months and she has been on solids for about 2 1/2 mo. she gets 4 btls a day about 7oz each about 3-4 hours apart. and i start when she gets up in the morning (the Ped said she needs to have at least 24oz of formula a day) then cereal and fruit mixed or yogurt about 40min later for breakfast. at lunch time she has some sort of mixed veggies about 40min after her second btl and then she has her third bt about 5pm and dinner about 6:30-7 and her final btl about 8:30 and bed about 9. I hope this helps. I have also been giving her some new foods to try like some plain cooked pasta, fruit (bananas, peaches, watermelon) buy some of those little teething bags that hold food they are great. she eats crackers and gerber makes these little star puffs and wheels that she really like.they melt in her mouth. Have fun with it.

My son is now 10 months old. He eats 3 meals a day. He usually has 3-4 bottles of formula a day (usually 8 ounces but sometimes 4-6 in the middle of the day). Your baby at that age will probably be wanting to eat about 24-28 ounces of formula a day. It is around 10 months that they switch that to about 16-24 ounces a day (I believe). I double checked this with an earlier message I had posted and I found the information in an article on iVillage.com (it was a pretty good article on called Guidelines for Babies and included suggestions for what types of foods to offer at each age/stage). I had also found the information in some parenting books which pretty much said the same thing. The article said a 7-9 month old should have between 24-32 ounces of formula a day. They say a 10-12 month old should have between 16-24 ounces a day.

Good luck. Hope this helps.

6:00 7 oz bottle
8:30 Rice Creal & Jar of fruit
12:00 Jar of fruit or vege
3:00 7 oz bottle
7:30 7 oz bottle before bed

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck!

Hi M.! I feel like my daughter was 8 months old just yesterday... but she is going on 17 months already. Around 8 months we had also gotten into the three meals a day schedule, along with breast milk three times a day. We did milk in the morning when she woke up and breakfast shortly after (half hour or so). Breakfast was usually some fruit, oatmeal/cereal/ half a bagel/some type of bread, and 1/3 of a baby yogurt/cottage cheese. She still eats similar things for breakfast, the amount has just increased. Before her nap (usually 3 hours from waking up) she would have another breastfeeding (but a short one so less milk than the other feedings). After her nap we did lunch which is when I introduced a lot of vegetables into her diet, some baby food but also some steamed and pureed/cut/mushed. I also started adding chicken/meat (like ground turkey) into some of her veggies to get her used to the flavors. Sometimes we had a small portion of left overs from dinner (maybe chicken and rice/ pasta pureed just a little bit so it is still chunky but easier to eat). I used potatoes, sweet potatoes, broccoli, peas, and cauliflower a lot during that time. Between lunch and dinner she usually had a small snack(fruit/crackers/cereal like cheerios)with a drink. For dinner we tried to give her some of whatever we would normally eat, which is possible on most nights... we just had to do a little less with spices or separate her portion before adding something (like tomato sauce) until she was old enough to have it. She drank water with her meals and then had one last feeding before bed (which started out being up to eight ounces of milk but gradually went down to 4 or 5). The main things we tried to do were offer healthy foods and allow her to eat when she was hungry but also keep a schedule and we always ate at the table. We also introduced her (over time) to a variety of foods and flavors and now she is not a very picky eater. With changes in sleep patterns, teething, and any colds, the routine will get thrown off. Around 9 months my daughters appetite really increased and she started eating sometimes twice the amount she had been. Now she has started eating a little less, but she still has a very similar schedule to the one we started when she was younger. I hope this helps a little! Best of luck to you :)

Oh, boy, this made me crazy a few months ago! I couldn't find answers anywhere. Only types of food and never how much. I had started on food at six months (if that other mom is reading: medical community seems to agree there is point until then). Samantha never ate much of any one food at a time, and we moved into things slowly. I just tried to do my best and made sure she wasn't hungry. At our nine month check-up I asked the nurse practitioner. Here are the basics of her response. Three meals a day, food always comes first. Then supplement with a bottle. From 9-12 months is when the baby's body starts changing over to taking nutrients more from the food. Sure enough, only a few weeks later the formula started leaving her unsatisfied. I started with a 1/4 cup of oatmeal and added applesauce, which I didn't really measure. Lunch was a jar of veggies for starters, then maybe fruit depending on how hungry she was. Dinner was a jar of protein and a jar of veggies. Her 4:00 bottle stayed that way for a little while longer then slowly became a snack, like cheerios and fruit. I took it day by day. Sometimes there was a small bottle between breakfast and lunch. Sometimes one before bedtime. Then there was a week when she wanted to drink all her meals.I say roll with it, and listen to your baby. This might be really ignorant, but when I didn't know what to do I let the size of the baby food jars be my starting guide. As for times, I started with our 4 bottle a day schedule and adapted it. She just turned a year. We are off the bottle and almost off baby food. I keep squash and sweet potatoes around for convenience. Now that it is table food, I'm worrying about portions all over again!
Martha B.

1 / 3