Feeding Dilema

I have a 3 week old daughter. She seems to be eating between 3 and 4 oz of formula at each sitting. However, the times she eats vary- sometimes,it's every 3,or 4 hours, and other times, 2 and a half hours. I'm concerned that she is being overfed. I've heard conflicting advice- some people I talk to say babies don't over eat, and others tell me they do. Please help. I just want to make sure it's okay to be feeding her as much as I have been.

At this age she wont be trying to get by eating.Feed her until she stops eating. As she gets older she will adjust to a a feeding schedule.Its ok to feed her as often as she needs right now.

Hi, My daughter did the same thing, and my doc said she will eat when she is hungry. I just fed her as she seemed to want a bottle and she did just fine. She grew according to the growth charts and was on target for all developments. Babies seem to have a built in signal to tell them when they are full. Hope this helps. K.

When my daughter was born I breast feed but also supplemented with formula. While I was at work my mother took care of her and my mother was one when the child was hungry you fed them. My Mom has done this with all of her grandchildren and they were all healthy babies. Most of the grandchildren are grown now except for mine she is now 10 and none of them have problems with their weight. Once they start crawling and walking they will lose the weight, that has been my theory. Hopes this helps.

Babies can be forced to overeat when parents try to stick to strict feeding schedules or pop a bottle in the mouth every time they cry, but if she is genuinely hunger feed her, it won't hurt her. If your really concerned, call your doctor.

You are fine and your baby is fine. She will let you know when she is full. Every day won't be the same. Just like we have have days where we eat more often/less often, the same applies to babies. She'll hold her lips/gums together when she doesn't want anymore.

With my first child, I had the same concerns. But I have been reassured that they do not over eat. But that you can over feed. Meaning that you need to watch them for the signs of them telling you that they are done. They know how much they need to eat and when to eat and that this is all instictive. Schedule eating is taught. Some dieticians will tell you that it is a bad habit that we as adults do and if we went back to eating like babies - a little every couple of hours - we would have less issues with obiesity.

Hi S.. My little girl was the same way. It seemed like I was always trying to feed her and worring about over feeding and under feeding. My experience is she will let you know when she is hungry. If she is overeating there will probably be alot of spitup. She is now 11 months and 3 weeks so we made it through and she is perfect. Good luck!

I think you should talk with your doctor. Babies don't over eat generally. I have a 7 month old and sometimes she eats every 5 to 6 hours and sometimes she wants a bottle 3 hours after eating. We don't eat on a schedule, we eat when we are hungry.

Congrats on your little girl. I breast fed and supplimented one meal a day at 4 weeks. She nursed every 45 minutes for the first 5 weeks(Mommy was a zombie). Some babies have eating spurts, some just eat all the time. She would take 3-5 oz at each feeding, like she was starving. It leveled off at 5 weeks and then hit another spurt at 13 weeks. Go with the flow. She will tell you what she needs. As long as she isn't getting sick or excessively gassy, she must be doing fine!

1 / 3