Feeding 12 Month Old Apples

I started my baby on solids long ago, but tonight while I was feeding her apples I got a little nervous. I use to cut them up in pieces and make sure that they were soft, but I feel that she is now 1 year old and should be able to eat them better.
Anyhow, my niece almost choked on apples after my sister gave them to her cut up into tiny pieces so now I am scared to give them to her like that. I gave a big chunk of apple tonight and she seemed to eat it fine with her two teeth and gums...but at the end she shoved the whole thing in her mouth and I got very nervous. Question: How do you give them the chunky foods like apples and such.
Thanks...

I use a grater to shred the apple, then pop it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so to soften a bit. My daughter loves it and has had no trouble gumming the apple shreds. :)

I always steamed the apples in the microwave for a while before feeding them to my kids at that age. But I new others who would just hand their kids apple slices. It really depends on the kid, trust your instincts....Plus we tend to eat really crisp apples, not red delicious. I do know that the peel is easy to choke on, so when my daugher was a little older I would cut the apple in 8ths and the cut the slices again in little pieces.

R.

You could try one of those mesh feeding bag things. I wouldn't give her an apple on its own, though. Cooked, soft apples without the skin may be okay but I doubt there's much nutritional value in that so it's probably not worth it.
Here is one version of the product that I'm talking about.
http://www.munchkin.com/products/detail.html?section=prod...

Raw apples and carrots are just too hard for babies. My boys were 2 before they could really eat raw apples, although when they were 1 I would give them a whole apple to keep them busy. They never got much off of it but they had fun with it. The major choking hazards for kids up till age 4 are grapes, hot dogs, carrots, apples, peanuts and other small hardish food.

I started feeding my son apples a few months ago, when he was around 12 months. He loves to eat them the same way I do, raw, out-of-hand. I peel them first, make sure he is in his high chair, not running around, and sit with him while he eats to make sure he doesn't choke. Otherwise, I peel and cut apples into chunks and cook them with a little water or apple juice and a little cinnamon until they are tender enough for him to eat as finger food. He loves them that way too, and I find that works well for any food that is just too hard for him to eat until he gets more teeth. Good luck.

My son used to eat apples whole before he was 12 months old. I watched him carefully so he wouldn't eat too far down to the core. He just loved apples and he wanted to eat it that way. He took bites and chewed and swallowed just fine.
He did have more than two teeth at the time, but baby gums are really hard and good for chewing with.
If you're really worried, give her applesauce until she has more teeth.

I give my 1 yo a slice of the apple, pear, banana, whatever, and she finds her own way of getting her pieces. With the apple, she'll basically teeth at it until she's done or it's gone. Her instinct now is to spit it out if she puts the whole thing in her mouth and cannot manage it. Does your child have that instinct? You can also give her the whole fruit--there's not way to get that whole thing in her mouth! My child has been nibbling at fruit this way since she was 8 months.

My 18 month old had trouble at that age with the apple peels. She would get chocked on them. I would have to peel and cut it into slices. I bought an apple peeler/corer (it cuts it into slices while cutting the core out at the same time). I don't peel them any more, but now both my 18 month old and my 3 year old eat them like a sliced orange. They eat the "meat" off the peel and leave the peel LOL. Apples are just hard for little ones to eat. I would really recommend getting a corer, it is a really time saver and the slices are a great size for little hands and mouths.

-M.

SAHM of 3, 3 and under, Mia 3, Maddie 18 months and Isabelle 2 1/2 weeks.

C.,
Try grating them. Keeps them nice and thin and soft.

1 / 3