Fears - Staten Island,NY

I am asking for a little advice my daughter is 4 years old and her sister was dressing her and got a shirt stuck on her head,of course my daughter was so scared and ever since that happened she wont put any shirt over her head she will only wear zip ups.what should i do.

Buy her shirts with wider necks so they go on quickly. I guess that would be mainly v-neck shirts. Pull them on as quickly as you can, and play peek a boo when you take them off, and put them on. I think the dress up clothes that someone else suggested is a good idea too! Also, when you put pull over shirts on her bunch the fabric up around collar as much as you can so that she can see you again instantly. Good luck. I know it can't be easy to find everything with zippers and buttons.

Just an idea, but most little girls at age 4 love to play dress up. Maybe you could get out her dress up clothes. Her desire to play dress up might out way her fear of putting a shirt over her head.

I would just let her try to put on her shirt herself and see how that goes. other then that i have no idea what to say!

hello J.,
i think you might try playing house or have a puppet show but dressing up and adding a shirt to your head pretending its part of the costume. remember when we use to wear shirts around the house pretending we had long hair.making it a game or even watching tv one night wearing a shirt on the head she might think its fun. of course you and your older daughter would do it and let her join in on her time/terms. even get daddy one night watching tv.this might just work.let me know ok.and good luck.FEAR NOT SUPER CRAZY MOM IS HEAR

I know that must be difficult getting back her trust to pull shirts over her head. But what I would do is let her see me pull shirts over my head as well as a little help from her and them commend her with a treat. slowly start introducing it back to her and make a BIG deal about it. also make sure she is not wearing earrings in her ears. i never pull shirts over my girls head with earring in.

Hi!,

My son is like this sometimes. I stick my face in the hole for a while and make funny faces to make him laugh. That or play peekaboo through the hole. Then, when I'm going to put the shirt on him, I keep my face in the hole until the last second and slip it over his head. Of course, the shirt is held in a way so that it's ready to slip over her head. Also, I find it's better when I let my son sit up. For a while, it would probably be good to only use very loose necked shirts, just to make it as quick as possible.

I would make getting dressed a game, letting her know that the shirts or clothes wont hurt her, fear is something that they dont understand, so showing her it wont hurt her will help her get through it. There is nothing to fear except fear itself, we fear the unknown.

A similar situation happened with my son as well. I took the shirt I wanted to put on him showed him how I was stretching the neck a little for an easier slip on and before I put it over his head I stuck my face through and made a funny face and told him I'd be the next thing he saw once the shirt was on. It worked. Hope this helps.

A. B.

1 / 3