Fear of Public Bathrooms

My daughter is a little over 3 years old and suddenly has developed a fear of using public restrooms. She never had a problem before (she's been potty trained almost a year now). It has become a big problem because she refuses to go even when she can't hold it anymore. Yesterday we went to the aquarium and were gone the entire day. My husband had to literally wrestle with her and force her to sit on the potty and go. She screams and cries and it gets very stressful for everyone. It's also probably not good for her to hold it that long.

Does anyone have any tips for helping her get over this strange phobia?

There was just an article about this in adults in the tribune. It's an actual phobia. Though at three it may just be a phase you might be able to find some info in it. It was in the Tribune last Sunday.

I know someone that may be able to help, she holds webinars and chats with parents with concerns, she may be able to help . Connie Hammer is a parenting coach, look for her at www.theprogressiveparent.com.

my daughter is terrified of the automatic toilets. She will scream and cry and throw huge fits about how it "will automatic" on her. A coworker of mine came up with a brilliant solution - post its. Put one over the sensor and it wont flush while she's on it. It has changed our lives, silly as that seems.

Put her in a pull up when you go out somewhere. It is very bad to force her to go if she is scared. With time, peer pressure will do its thing and she'll be fine. But forcing her and wrestling her is very bad...

My daughter is 3 and doesn't care for the public restrooms either. We have something called a pottete (I think) that we got at Babies r Us. It's basically a folding, travel pottty that you put a bag into. We set it up in the back of the car for her and it has solved a lot of problems. Good luck.

My son is afraid of public restrooms, not because they are public but because the toliets flush by themselves and the hand drier are too loud.
Could this be your daughters problem?
To solve the toilet flushing problem, I make sure to cover the sensor with my hand before my son moves, that way it won't flush until he is ready. We also don't use the hand driers, I keep an old cloth diaper or my own paper towels in my purse to use instead. Now we don't have problems. I still have to reassure him everytime we need to use one that there won't be any suprise flushing or loud noises, but eventually he will get over it.

Good Luck,

My 3 year old daughter JUST got over her fear of public bathrooms. It was a horrible phase and one day......like magic....it was over! I have no explanation for it. Everything WE tried was a dismal failure and it was up to her to "get over it".
This to shall, hopefully soon, pass!

Try to find out just what it is that scares her. For example......is it germs? If so bring baby wipes with you and give the potty a cleaning before she sits down. Make a big show on how now it is clean.

My daughter won't go on automatic toilets. You might want to see if that's her issue. Good luck!

1 / 3