Favorite "Green" Cleaners/househole products...ex:Melaleuca, Shaklee, Others

What are your favorite "green" products. Does anyone have experience with Melaleuca or Shaklee, or any others you would recommend or advise against. We're trying to be better about not using toxic products and I'm wondering what has been tried and liked or disliked. These products tend to be expensive so I don't like the thought of extensive trial and error without asking first. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks.

I use almost all of the Method products (granite cleaner, wood floor cleaner, all-purpose cleaner, etc.) and have been VERY pleased. I use some Mrs. Meyers as well, but the good thing about Method is how readily available it is--Target and I even found it at Home Depot! The granite cleaner is the best I've seen and I use it on our black stovetop, too, for a spotless shine. The greatest thing about all of these cleaners is the wonderful way my house smells afterwards--no more chemical smells. Plus, I don't wince when my son grabs a bottle to "help" me clean.

I used to sell Melaleuca until after the birth of my daughter. I then became allergic to tea tree oil!

While they are great products, they are also VERY expensive. If you decide to build a business with them, it becomes even more expensive. The higher on the ladder you go, the more products you must buy. At that point you begin to spend more on than "your budget" on product.

Since leaving Melaleuca, I have found more economical and environmetally friendly options to use around the house. I use winfree detergent (from cosco), white vinegar for in my rinse water, white vinegar for cleaning countertops and floors, Also use Mint Oil for general cleaning(floors, toilets, countertops). Baking soda for scrubbing sinks, tubs, and my glasstop stove. Vinegar for window too. If I need essential oils for medicinal reasons, they can be purchased locally.

Remember too that you are being more "green" by buying things locally when possible. We contribut more to pollution by supporting the trucking of items into our homes.

More about me:
WAHM of two( 17yrs and 4yrs). Married for almost 13 yrs. I work part-time from my home as a sales rep for Valpak of SW Dallas, and a distributer for MAXgxl(a glutathione accelerator)http://www.maxgxl.com/D.

I've been using Mrs. Meyers Clean Day products for a little over a year now and really like them. They smell GREAT, get the job done and are good for the environment as well as being child and pet friendly. The line is available at Whole Food markets and other eco-friendly stores. I currently order mine online as noone in this area (that I know of) carries MM.

http://www.mrsmeyers.com/

My favorite green cleaners are vinegar and baking soda. I can get almost everything clean with these two and they are cheap. Go to www.care2.com/greenliving for some ideas on how to use them. For laundry I like Biokleen. I've heard some good things about Allen's Naturally, but I haven't tried that.

Abby,
I love Melaleuca! I looked at Shaklee and could not believe the prices. Melaleuca has 100% money back guarantee on everything! If you know of anyone who has eczema or any other skin condition they need the Renew bath oil and lotion! Just to give you an idea on the prices 96 loads of laundry cost 14.99! They are having a great special right now and they will also give you a $100 in free products. Let me know if I can help you. The special is only advertised right now until March 20. Good luck and Happy St. Patricks day. You can give me a call or email me back. My number is ###-###-####. I look forward to visiting with you.
H. M.

Hey Abby! I actually distribute Shaklee products. I started doing this because I fell in love with their cleaning products. They are all safe for you, your home and the environment. The line is called Get Clean and it was actually featured on Oprah's favorite things episode this past November. I would love to share more info. with you if you would like. My home phone number is ###-###-####, or you could go to my website at www.shaklee.net/amberterrell.

A. T

I've used Melaleuca many times off and on through the years and like it for light jobs. I also love Odo-Ban (available at Sam's Club) for serious disinfecting or deodorizing jobs. Both are natural, smell great (to me) and are non-toxic. More and more companies make "green" cleaners these days, but I still read the labels and make sure they are non-toxic. Vinegar, baking soda, elbow grease - still the best naturals ;)

I also use Method - especially in the bathrooms because it's non-toxic to people or pets. I love their everyday shower cleaner. I also use Method floor cleaner and like it a lot.

I love Real Simple magazine. They have a book out on how to clean everything. They suggested a mix of dish soap and water in a spray bottle to clean counters, etc and it works great for me. Works pretty good on stainless steel too.

1 / 3