Father's Day Gifts for My Fiance (But Not My Child Real Father)

I am getting married in less than a month to a guy who is not my child's real father but has been with us since he was 8 months old. He is planning on legally adopting him after we get married but neither one of us is sure if I am supposed to get him something for Father's Day or not. He is the only dad my son has known so I feel like I should but would that be weird since he is technically not a father? If I do need to get him something what would be appropriate?

I think that if he has been the childs father, and is going to BE the childs adopted father...then by all means, get the MAN a gift!!! He deserves it and would probably appreciate it.

P.S. Congrats on the wedding!!! Good for you!!! Good luck to all three of you!!!!

I would get him something or make his day father's day special.

Just being the biological father of a child does not automatically make you a dad. But being their for a child, caring about it, being responsible for it, loving it that's what counts.

If he's acted as the child's dad, then he deserves a gift. I do not hesitate to give my daughter's stepdad a gift, he's been a better dad than her biological dad. So, go for it, and good luck!
G. Biggi

K.,

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding! It really sounds like the man you are marrying IS your son's real father - maybe not biologically but in his heart. A gift to recognize and celebrate his role could prove very positive for all of you and help you feel more like a family. Maybe get something your son and husband-to-be can do together (or even all three of you). How wonderful you have found a man that loves you both so much!

Yes I think that you should get him a gift. It sounds to me that he is your child's father in every way except biological. Blood is not what makes a parent. It is actions.

i would definately get him something for fathers day. He is playing the role of a father for 1 year and treats him like a son, that is a gift well deserved. My husband was a step-father to my 2 children and they enjoyed fathers day with him. It can be something very simple like a coffee mug saying "dad" or maybee just a nice card & dinner. I have a stepfather i an 44 and have 7 brothers & sisters he has raised us since i was 5, and he has taken care of all 7 of us, when your son is at the age to realize what a father is he will soon look forward to fathers day with your new husband.

It appears you are getting married after Fathers Day?--and your new husband is planning on adopting--Perhaps a card with something written from your son to his new Father. IE--

I can not wait utill we are able to play ball and share guy stuff. Hunt and be pals-- fish and hang out--something like that --that will let your husband know he is going to be loved and he will be giving love and time to your beautiful little boy.

Many have fathered but few are FATHERS.

May God bless you and you up coming marriage as you become a family--K.

Dear K.--The physical act of procreation is not what makes a father. It's the love and caring that a man chooses to express for a child. (Look at adoptive fathers!) Anyway, what I'm saying is: If you think your son will look on this man as his father (and I'm sure he will), then by all means include him in the Father's Day celebration.

As for the gift--I don't know what your budget is like. We never had much money to spend on Mother's or Father's Day, so we usually went for small things. How about a key chain with your son's picture in it? Or a framed picture of the two of them together. Something that would focus on their relationship, not their lack of a blood tie.

Good Morning K.;

Hey, the man is the only "Father" your son has ever know,
why not give him a gift! I was raised with a step-father
and I always gave him a father's day gift.
Now the other part, hey, we guys are happy with simple things,
a shirt, a pair of pants, a billfold or even a gift card
to Home Depot or Walmart!
Gift cards are neat, that way he can get what he wants!
Make sure it has "NO EXPERATION DATE"!
Have a Happy Marriage!
B. C

I sounds like he is beeing a father to you child, even planning on legally adopting him , as fer as him not beeing the biological father, in my opinion really has nothing to do with it.
Does he love your child as if he were his own?
Does he care & provide for him?
Is he the main father figure for your son?
If the answer to the above questions is yes, than he deserves to get something for Father's Day

1 / 3