Father/Daughter Song Ideas

Ok so I am getting married soon and I have already picked out all of my songs for the wedding...except the father/daughter song. I am stuck. I want obviously the perfect song but it seems like nothing is quite perfect enough or expresses everything. So heres the situation. My father is really my stepfather by definition, no blood relation, but he has been my dad sense I was 1, he has been the only father I have ever known. My real (biological) father was never really in the picture (he has an invite not sure if he is coming, doesn't really matter) but my (step)dad is everything to me, he has always considered me more of his child than his biolgoical children and we have a stronger bond then they do. He is always there when I need him no matter what the situation is, big or small he is my knight in shining armor. I want the perfect song (what bride doesn't) but I don't want all the traditional ones i have found they just don't seem to be appropriate...does any more have any advice? suggestions?...FYI I have about 1 week to find the perfect song.

My dad and I danced to Louie Armstrong's son "What a Wonderful World." Good luck!

Another awesome song that my husband always plays for my daughters is "Little Miss Magic" by Jimmy Buffet. It's about a dad and his little girl. It's very sweet.

If you like country, (or I guess even if you don't really like country...) I Loved Her First by Heartland is perfect.
http://www.cmt.com/videos/heartland-country/111277/i-love...

OR

Today by Gary Allan
http://www.cmt.com/videos/gary-allan/461815/today.jhtml

they are both songs from the perspective of the father about giving their daughter away.

My friend had a similar relationship with her stepfather as you describe and she used "Through the Years" by Kenny Rogers. It was perfect for her and I thought it might ring true for you, too.

Does he have a favorite artist? My dad loves Paul Simon and all of my memories from childhood road trips have Paul Simon songs playing in the background. So I worked hard to find a PS song that would work and found a great one:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/5311758/a/W...
It is called Father and Daughter and it's on the Wild Thornberry's soundtrack. The rhythm is a little strange for a slow dance, but it was still perfect for us.

Congrats on your wedding!

"Daddy's Little Girl" by David Glenn is the best song ever. I cry every time I hear it, which has been for years. My family has known him and watched him forever.
Message me if you can't download the song, I could message it to you I'm sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0xeX33Imcw

http://www.myspace.com/davidglenn

Edited to add lyrics for anyone looking for them:
I could not find them anywhere, so, I typed them up real quick, and, did see that it is now available on itunes as well.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Daddy's Little Girl, by David Glenn:

I watched you take your first steps, you stumbled and you fell
but when you finally got it right, you didn't need no help
I heard you say your first words, they've echoed through the years
and when you say, "I love you Dad," its music to my ears

chorus:
I watched you dance like Cinderella, as precious as Snow White
You smile just like an angel, with a twinkle in your eyes
and you act so much like your momma, when she's takin' on the world
but for now all I want you to be, is Daddy's Little Girl

Through the years I've watched you grow, to the woman you are now
but I'm not sure how its gonna feel, without you always around
And I know there's gonna come a time, when I'll give you away
and when I walk you down the aisle, I know exactly what I'll say

chorus:

Then she said, "no one or anything could ever take your place."
She took my hand, and this is what she had to say:

"you watched me dance like Cinderella, as precious as Snow White
I smile just like an angel, dad, cause you're the twinkle in my eye
and I act so much like my momma, when she's takin' on the world
but the one thing that I'll always be, is Daddy's Little Girl"

"the one thing that I'll always be is Daddy's Little Girl"

"Time in a Bottle" by Jim Croce.
There won't be a dry eye in the house.

I'm already thinking about these things for when my son gets married. You better believe he'll be dancing with me. He and I have danced together at a hundred wedding receiptions with him so little I had to bend down.
We already talk about our songs.
One heart melty and one...we'll bust a move! I, after all, am the one who taught him to dance. And he's good at it. We'll have a sentimental one and then one for breaking it out. God willing my sciatica holds out that long. lol.

I'll try to think of some more for you. I hope you get great suggestions.
Do you like country, classics? Or is it just the song that matters?

I know you will find the right thing.

Best wishes!

I danced with my dad to "Because You Loved Me" performed by Celine Dion. Diane Warren wrote that song and she actually wrote it for her father.

Dance with Cinderella, Steven Curtis Chapman. http://s0.ilike.com/play#Steven+Curtis+Chapman:Cinderella...
Love it. Congrats!!

"My Little Girl" by Tim McGraw, but my daughter said not to tell anyone that;)

I also love Steven Curtis Chapman "Dance with Cinderella". I would have done this if it were out when I got married it is an awesome song. I cry everytime I hear it.

1 / 3