Fast Reading Thermometer Recommendation?

Can someone recommend a highly accurate, fast reading thermometer (for under arm and/or rectal)? My current baby thermometer is impossible to use as it takes at least a minute to read the temperature. Obviously, that's a challenge with a squirmy six month old.

Hi D.,

We use the American Red Cross Rapid Underarm Thermometer. It reads in about 8-10 seconds and is very accurate! We use it rectally for my infant son and under the arm for my daughter. It's very quick and painless - although they act like we're killing them. Ha! I bought mine at Babies R Us for $10. Target sells the same one for the same price as well.

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2449560

-Char

The Temporal thermometer is AWESOME! you can do it while they are asleep and not bother them at all. I think it is the only kind to get. WalMart -- made by Exergen. Get one!

D.,

My hubby is a nurse and we use a temporal scanner thermometer. It scans the temporal artery in an instant. Children's hospital, and most others, use this type exclusively now...and all EMS personnel use it. The models that are "hospital grade" can run $150-$300, but you can also buy less expensive versions at Target, WalMart, or Walgreens...or online. We paid about $50 for ours and it works great. The temporal area is one of the most accurate areas to get the temp because it measures the blood after only a short time out of the heart. Axillary therm (under arm) are worthless...and inaccurate by a full degree or more. Rectal is not a great way to go as the kiddo gets older. This is easier than all and most accurate. One swipe of the forehead and 4 seconds later you get a reading. Hope that helps!

I know you mentioned underarm or rectal but I wanted to recommend the temporal thermometer. After two years of struggling with several types of thermometers, my second child came along and seemed to constantly have a fever. Again the struggle continued trying to get an accurate reading using everything from underarm, ear, to paci kind. My neighbor had the temporal kind and I was constantly borrowing it. I decided we needed to go ahead and get one...I asked for one for Christmas...best gift the girls ever received :) Very fast, accurate and no crying or struggle!!! They are around $40 at Walmart but well worth it....wish I would have just purchased it from the beginning rather than spending $10-$20 on all the other different ones.

I have a 4 month olt and I just bought the Temporal thermometer and it is AWESOME! It reads in seconds. You can do it while they are sleeping and not even wake them up. I bought mine at walmart for 34 dollors Babies r us has the same one but it is 50.

I have to diddo the temporal thermometer. We have one that decided it only wanted to give error messages, so my hubby emailed the company and they are sending us a brand new one for free, and a return lable for the broken one. I am so impressed. Ours was made by Exergen Corporation. Hope that helps.

1 / 3