Fashion Trends in High School??

What was popular or the trends when you were in high school?

Mine was:
Big, big hair
Big shoulder pads in clothes
Colored wavy bracelets
Gloria Vanderbilt, Calvin Klein and Sasson blue jeans
Freshman year: Combs in the back pocket

I think I went to school with you!

Also, I remember Calvin Klein jeans, leg warmers, parachute pants, sweaters with WIDE belts, Members Only jackets, skinny ties for guys......ugh. SO bad.

I think I went to school with you!

Did you ever see that commercial where the daughter is looking at her mom's high school pictures and says something like, oh mom *concern* why didn't you tell me you were deformed.... She was referring to the shoulder pads.

I was always glad I could sew cause my mom wouldn't let me buy my jeans properly tight so I took them in a couple inches when I got home. In retrospect, exactly why didn't we have muffin tops?

Concert tee shirts,
flannels,
Doc Martins,
leggings with cutoffs over them,
overalls with one strap undone,
putting streaks of bright color in your hair, with either manic panic, or kool aid

Mine were the same as yours -and Guess jeans! Purple eye shadow, eye liner and mascara ( we looked so awful!) and Espirit clothing was huge. Rayban Wayfarer sunglasses too and Ralph Lauren Polo anything. Members only jackets hit big in middle school and high school and so did Swatch watches! Oh and we all REEKED of Giorgio and Poison perfume!

Shoulder shirts, short shorts, Air Force ones, Cornrows, Straight hair, Tight clothes (everything tight) or tight jeans with a baggy tshirt with one corner of the shirt tucked in and the rest out. The jeans down to your butt started real big when I was in high school. Big chains, herringbone necklaces, and necklaces with gold clusters and your name in them. High-top Chuck taylor shoes were big then too. My junior year a lot of people started taking rubber bands and putting them bottom of their pants in tight to their shoes (like military does to the bottom of their camis). The smokey eye was big except it wasn't smokey, it was more just dark

Bad perms, pegged pants when I was a freshman. Grunge when I was a senior. Oh my, I guess it could be worse!

Grunge - Doc Martins, dresses with combat boots, lots of black (hair, eye liner, lipstick, nail polish), cutoffs over leggings, those baja tops etc.

However, I went to an all-girl Catholic HS so we wore uniforms but were still pretty grubby. Just about everyone wore "the bun" (a messy pony tail twisted up and out of the way), no one wore makeup past 9th grade, we all wore boxer shorts under our kilts and the cuffs of our white blouses were filthy. We could only wear navy or white tights or ankle socks and B. shoes, but even those got creative (I'm sure the sisters had loafers in mind, not work boots and Doc Martins). Skirts were short, shirts and sweaters were long.

I'm very glad that I grew up when I did because if you were a little fat, no one could see it under all those clothes. If I were a teenager today I'd probably have an eating disorder to be able to wear the super-skinny look that's in style now.

Punk Rock
Mohawks
Colored hair
(some did the big hair/shoulder pads) but I was not into that.
There was alternative styles and mainstream styles, and kids.

1 / 3