Family Vacation for Single Mom

I was wondering if anyone has ideas / suggestions for taking a family vacation with my two boys (ages 8 and 3). I am recently separated but I don't want this to deter me from giving my kids experiences including having a great vacation. The problem is that I've never traveled alone with the kids and I'm not sure what would be a good vacation that is not only safe but one that I can manage both kids on my own. Thanks in advance!

I don't know how to thank everyone for all of the wonderful responses! I think we'll probably go to Sea World in San Antonio this summer (it's a short enough drive for me to make) and next year I think I will save up for a cruise. Thank you everyone!

Hi T. H.
You would not believe all the activities on a cruise ship for children. I believe it is one of the safest ways to travel. Some cruise lines have at different times of the year free cruises for children under age 17 when traveling with a parent. Costa Cruises lines cruises from Florida.
D. D. in Texas of cruisingclowns.com
If you would like more information or my help, send me an email. Thanks

My coworker (also a single mom) took her 2 daughters to Great Wolf Lodge in Grapevine, TX (outside of Dallas). Its a child-oriented/family resort. She said they had a blast.

http://www.greatwolflodge.com/Locations/Grapevine/index.aspx

I always hold camping in high esteem!

It's affordable, It is interesting for all ages and it revives the spirit.

How about lost Maples or Garner State Park. Or Krause Springs , it is only 45 minutes away and they have all the eminities plus plenty of swimming and other kids for them to play with. Good Luck!

Depends if you want to fly someplace ...San Diego Zoo(you can drive here too, but it's a long trip). If you want to drive someplace...San Antonio Zoo & Sea World (Fiesta Texas may be a little much with the ages of your two) or maybe Dallas/Ft. Worth...Ft. Worth Zoo, Dallas Aquarium (here too, Six Flags may be a little much). There is also day trips like Schliterbaun(sp?), they have special tubes you can get for the younger one

My parents were not separated, but my dad hated to travel. So Mom packed up the station wagon with at lease 4 of us six kids (sometimes one or two cousins too) and away we went. The first trip I can remember is when I was 4 1/2, my oldest brother just returned from Vietnam, so Mom made it a special trip and we went to the San Diego Zoo. Anyway, best of luck & happy traveling.

I'm a single mom with an 11 y.o. We love, love, love to go to Freeport to the beach. Load up early stay all day and either come home or stay in Clute. They have several newer, smaller hotels. I think the last time we stayed at Comfort Suites. Leave all your beach stuff in the car, order pizza, get up the next morning, put clean bathing suit on and do it all over again. At Freeport you can park on the beach and they have port-a-potties (or I take a camping chair potty). You're close to the car this way in case someone wants to lay down and take a nap. My 11 y.o. still needs to be closely monitored so this is an easy vacation for us.

Don't know your budget but saw that Travel Zoo has 3-4 day all-inclusive Mexican vacation packages - the service at these places is just immpecable and you can get some good alone time to rejuvenate while the kids play with other kids in their childcare programs. I have the same issue (single aprent to a 30 mo. old) and just being able to have some adult conversation, relax and maybe even have a drink wothout guilt is the best cure!

I'm coming back to check on ideas from others - great question.

Hi T.,

Try go to website port-royal.com make sure to check the dates for CHEAPER prices and very reasonable. It is across from the ocean.

If you invite more people or family members it will cheaper and they very spacious with kitchen, washer and dryer and living area. etc.

Have a GOOD VACATION.

Ms. M.

Chalk Bluff Park in Uvalde, TX is great! It is not very expensive at all! There's a playground, put-put golf, petting zoo, pony rides, and it's right on the river. I believe it's the Nueces river, but looks as clear, cold and beautiful as the Frio river! It is really really nice. We have a 4 yr. old and have opted to go there from now instead of the Frio every year. Here's the website:
http://www.chalkbluff.com/

Hi T.,
My kids (10 year old boy/girl twins) and I just recently stayed at the Nickelodeon hotel in Orlando. The website is www.nickhotel.com and the kids loved it. Their pools are mini water parks and they have a huge arcade, salon, food court and free shuttles to the nearby parks. We also went to Universal Studios Islands of Adventures. Your kids aren't quite as old as mine so they may not like the roller coasters, but Seuss World was great. Next time we'll get the 2-park pass and go to both Universal parks. Most of the attractions were bigger than just double-seaters so we didn't have to split up to ride anything. They have a lot of interactive dinner theater-type things in Orlando - we went to a pirate themed one that was fun. We drove from Texas to Orlando with an overnight stop both directions. If you plan to drive it, don't forget to budget extra for gas - it's even more ridiculous there! I've been a single mom for 8 years now and I promise, you can do this. It takes a little more advanced planning, but the bonding time is so worth it! Good luck! - L.

I am a mother of a 7 year old girl.last summer we stumbled onto a campsite in Waller, Tx (about 1 1/2 hours away from Pearland).
It was named Yogi Bear Campsite. They are very kid friendly. yogi bear comes and visits every day at the flag pole. and everyday and night they have a different activity for the kids. They also have a small petting zoo, minature golf, and an awesome water park with mini slides for the kids. It's very affordable also. You can tent camp, RV camp, or rent a small cabin. We Went with another family who had a 4 year son and he was always on the move. Everyone loved it. It's going to be a long weekend trip for us again this year.

I always hold camping in high esteem!

1 / 3