Family Pictures - Coordination

So we are doing our family pictures again in January. Last year I was able to color coordinate us easily and it looked great! The boys wore light blue button ups with white v-neck sweters and my daughter and I wore white. My hubby skipped the sweater on his :). But it looked great! And I get a lot of compliements on it..

So what other colors can I do that will look good. I want the focus to MAINLY be on us as people, but we need to look good together too. I was thinking to go with red? We've done that before and it was nice...but it was kind of bold. So what other colors can you do that aren't overly bold, but look good?

What have you done with your family?

Thanks everyone!! We did red when my youngest was born and I love those pictures...but I'm not sure if I want to do it again. Maybe. I like the little POP of colors. That could be FUN!!

I've seen photos where everyone wears black with a black background that look great. The same with white on a white background. Any color would look great really - all shades of green or purple or brown. We are doing a family photo with everyone wearing red this year. We are going to use a mottled brownish background (the warm tone that most photography studios seem to have).

For our Christmas pictures last year, we wore mainly grey. I wore a a dark charcoal- like sweater, my husband wore a lighter grey sweater and my son wore a similar color sweater as my hubby but his had some red on it as well. I wore a bright red necklace to compliment the red in the sweater. It looked really cute and the small amount of red was just enough to pop!

I like muted colors on people (unless you are at the beach!).

What about a dark maroon? Those are easier to find this time of year.

Walk through Kohls and try to find a dress for your daughter or you and then pull from that. Dresses are the hardest to find. Also look for whatever color seems to be in....you'll find more of it. We did that for a wedding we were going to. We started with my dress (the hardest) and pulled colors from it.

one idea is to go to jcpenny and look in the cateloge they have in the studio of many of the sessions they have had. it will give you ideas on how to dress and what colors will look good. also if you see a pose you like just remember it for when you go and tell the photographer. if you don't want to go in the store and look go to photo places web sites. they usually have a similar area that shows you sessions they have done. you can also see their backgrounds and choose which will look best with your outfits for example dark colors and dark backgrounds wont look great in most cases. good luck!

When my ex and I showed up for our engagement pics, we both had on red. The professional photog said OMG, you wore red!!! this was 15 years ago so I don't remember "why" but I guess red is not a good color for some reason. I hope you find something that works!

I really like the first two photos of this blog: http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://angelicayimdes...

I love the look of red with black. It is bold, but I think it gives it a professional feel. Since it won't be christmas, you could go with dark blue and gray, but you mentioned you did blue before. I love putting together the outfits for pics and I usually go based off one of my kids outfits that they already have in their closet so I don't have to buy anymore clothes. For example, for our xmas pic my youngest had a white and red jumper (he's 2 mos) so I made all of us wear red or dark gray or white to stay with the theme. Have fun!

We did our first "family photo" session this year, and we went with dark purple/maroon (mostly because that was the only color dress we had for my littlest one!). I think it turned out realy well. Sorta festive but not too bold.

1 / 3