Family Costume Ideas

I know Halloween is a long way away, but I like to plan ahead. My husband and I want to do a really original theme this year. Our son will be almost 4, and our daughter will be 10 months. We thought about going as the Simpsons, because that would be relatively easy to recreate, but I don't really want to paint the baby yellow, and we don't have a Lisa. It would be cute though! I'm trying to come up with ideas for the 4 of us, and possibly a way to decorate our double stroller as part of the theme too. I'd thought about my son dressing up as a pirate and the baby could be an octopus, and make the stroller up like a ship, or a fire fighter and a dalmatian puppy, and so on. But I'd rather do something where we can ALL dress up. Also I'd rather piece together things from ebay and thrift shops, instead of spending a ton on an officially licensed costume from a movie or something. Ideas please!

My family went as bowling pins & a ball. My husband and I were bowling pins and my son was the ball. It was great. We got a laugh at every house.

I love homemade costumes! Your post made me laugh because I was just in the car brainstorming with my son. Last year we all went as Ghostbusters, not sure what we will do this year. Check out this website...http://www.coolest-homemade-costumes.com/ People post their creations and explain how they made them. Some are over the top amazing and some aren't that great, but can give you some ideas. GL!

Pirates is a good idea. Your husband and son are pirates you're a mermaid and baby is a octopus.

Flintstones/Cave people. You and your husband a cave couple, Baby is a dino and your son is a cave kid.

How about the Flintstones? Last year my husband and I went as the Rubbles with our baby as bam bam. 1 child can be the kid, the other the family pet :) Incredibles is another possibility although they had 3 kids.

My sis did Goldilocks and the 3 bears one year.

The pirate thing is cute too, she did the baby as the parrot on the shoulder.

Peter Pan crew is good for a family, (Hook, Tink, Wendy, Peter Pan, Smee...)

I am also looking ahead to Halloween this year! I have 2 boys, who will be 2 1/2 and 1 in October. I want to go as the Imagination Movers... I like the group ideas! We were also thinking of the boys being Batman and Robin, me at Catwoman, and Daddy as the Riddler! Google "family halloween costumes" :)

Royalty - the stroller could be a tower and your daughter could be the princess in a tower. :)

Before I read other answers, my first thought was the Flinstones too. You could also take your son's favorite movie and go with that - ie. You be Jessie. Your husband Woody. The kids could be Buzz and/or Slinky Dog (do some ears and paint a brown nose?) or any other character.

boys can be trees (brown sweat suits with leaves pinned on arms and in hair.
girls can be flowers (green sweat suits with flower petals around face.

OR

boys can be dogs (again colored sweatsuits with ears/tails and facepaint) and girls can be cats (gray sweatsuits with ears/tails and facepaint). Then you can 'chase' each other up and down the street!

OR

boys are football players
girls are cheerleaders

OR

boys are priests
girls are nuns

OR

The only movie idea I would do is the little mermaid. Dad can be Triton, you can be Ursula :-( daughter can be Ariel and son can be that crab, who is adorable.

Have fun!

1 / 3