Families or 4 Out There, What's Your Average Grocery Bill per Week?

I'm curious were I am in the grocery spending range. I use coupons here and there and I have Stop&Shop cards etc. But I probably could do a lot better in budgeting. I signed up for Amazon Moms so I get Diapers and Wipes delivered (no shipping cost) pretty cheaply to me so that saves me some money. ( I have twin toddlers) Right now my average weekly grocery bill is between $180-$230. I try to do a lot of my shopping at Trader Joes because they are cheap and fabulous, especially when you have kids. I am not a big one at all for processed stuff, so I do like me some Whole Foods a lot, also known as Whole Paycheck. Still organic is big with me and I also love to cook and am a bit of a foodie hence my reasons for shopping there. Anyway I'm just wondering where I fit in on the Grocery shopping scale. I'm thinking I need to budget better.

$100. Granted no diapers but lord they eat a lot.

I find coupons to be worthless. You end up buying stuff you don't really need because they are cheap.

I spend between $175 and $200 per week for my family of 11 (Mom and Dad plus 9 kids). We buy things like beans, rice, eggs, baby wipes and laundry soap in bulk at Sam's Club. When there are good sales on things like chicken breast, we will buy up to eight family sized packages at once. Likewise with cereal, we will buy 10 or 12 boxes at once. We don't buy any convenience foods such as frozen meals or snack foods.

$100.00 a week at the most. But I have a 10 & 13 year old. If they were still babies, my grocery bill would be more due to the diapers, formula & wipes.

The 'Whole Paycheck' thing cracks me up. I do half my BARGAIN shopping at whole foods.

(half gallons)
WF Milk: 1.69
Kroger/Target/etc Milk : $3.89

WF Tatertots: 2.99
Kroger/Target/etc. Tatertots: 5.99

WF Chard/Collard Greens/ Kale/ etc: 1.99 p/bunch
Kroger/ Target/ etc " ___________" : 3.99 per bunch

WF Shrimp: 5.99 p/#
Kroger Schrim: 11.99

WF COOKED Bacon: 7.99 p/#
K/T/etc. raw bacon: 7.99 per/#
K/T/etc cooked bacon : 12-15.99 p/#
(You get about 3x the amount of bacon if you buy it precooked. 1lb cooked= apx 3lb raw)

The trend continues. I save TONS by shopping at WholeFoods
_____________________________________________________________
But in answer to your Q (SUPER regional)... we pay a strict $600 per month for a family of 3. If I bought what I wanted, when I wanted it that amount would double. That includes toiletries, cleaning supplies, lightbulbs, etc.

Me and hubby are old and have no kids and are just a family of two and we still spend 150 a week on food and drink.

OK--we're a family of 3, but $150 covers just about everything for us. Son is 8. I think that sounds high, but it might be a regional thing...

Well, having a baby (or babies) in diapers makes a HUGE difference.
I don't remember our budget from back then, but I am quite certain it was insane.
We were barely making it.
We are only a family of 3, but I hope it's ok to tell ours?

We do not own a car right now. So we either have our groceries delivered or go to the store via bus and take a taxi home.

This last shop we had 2 weeks worth delivered and spent under $200.
So less than $100 per week.
That includes the odd toiletry or cleaning thing you might need.

I prefer to go to the store and take a taxi home simply because the store that delivers has bad selection of organic things and that is why it seems so cheap.
When we go over to Fred Meyers and buy the organic and free range everything, we spend probably closer to $250 for 2 weeks.
But still, that is $125 per week.

Granted, when it gets to the point where we need shampoo, toilet paper, laundry and dish soap, body wash, lysol wipes and so on and so forth ON TOP of groceries, those trips are larger totals.

To go to Trader Joe's or Whole foods from where we live we would have to taxi it both ways and spend easily $40 just getting there and back. I wish we could, just not realistic. Once we have a car though, we want to use them instead.

Your cost will be a LOT better when the baby(s) are not in diapers anymore :)

If you are able to do the majority of your shopping at places like Trader Joes and Whole Foods on $180-$230/ week...then I would say you are doing pretty well. We are a family of 4 and spend about 150-175/week but I shop at the grocery stores where I can get the best deals...we eat very healthy and most of that includes milk, fruits & vegetables, bread and meat...some organic.

1 / 3