"Fake" Cough??

This is probably the dumbest question ever, but I don't know who else to ask!! Can a 5 month old "fake" a cough for attention?? My 5 month old daughter has started making these tiny little coughs and they sound so fake to me, almost like she's trying to see how quiet she can do it... Or to see how quick I come running to check on her. I know she isn't sick, this is something very different from her sick coughs. And I'm not one of those parents that freak out over every little thing so it's not like I actually DO run to her, but the idea of a 5 month old faking something just seems so far fetched to me!! Has anyone else had this problem? I feel like she is becoming such a little operator!!

Thanks so much for all the info!! My daughter DOES have pretty severe reflux but this has just started and it's all the time, not just when she is laying down!! I took the advice of one poster and coughed back at her and she laughed like it was the funniest thing ever!! I guess it's just her way of letting me know she is here!!

My daughter had a "fake" cough too at that age. She was just learning to make noises and mimick people. Also I know other babies who have done the same thing. Its kinda cute.

My daughter did the same thing and still does occasionally (she is now 11 months). I think it is something they learn and are fasinated by or maybe they are just reacting to extra saliva (like if they are teething). I really wouldn't worry about it...but it doesn't sound like you are.

My daughter did that, too.

I wouldn't consider this being a "problem." Or that she is being a "little operator." Five months old have no concept of manipulation or how to do that. She is exploring her vocal capacities. Babies love to mimic and if you make the same sound to her, she'll probably do it back to you. They constantly are exploring and developing at 5 mths old, so she's going to be coming up with new things to do and new noises to make. My son likes to grunt and he gets a kick out of me grunting back at him.

I am a photographer. It is possible that your little one is making fake coughs. I have seen it plenty of times. Sometimes when you do it with them, it makes them smile. They think it is funny.

OH YEAH! You just made me flash back to when my 6 & 4 yr olds were babies. Both of my two did this. It is so funny how even babies respond to "trickery" and trying to get that attention. ENJOY it. You are in for a lot more fun "games" like dropping a toy 100 times so that you can pick it up for her, etc. Have fun with it. She is trying to get your attention and be funny. Play it up and you will see how much more of a "ham" she will become.
No need to worry unless you start hearing some conjestion in her chest or something.
Enjoy,
A.

once they realize they can make a noise, any noise, it usually will continue until they find another sound they like to make better. my son is 11 months and he still likes to "fake" cough. he's been doing it for months. i dont think it's for attention, it's just something new.

Sounds to me like she is experimenting - with what sounds she can make and how mommy will respond to them. It is a phase that she will get through. It's actually sometimes funny and I would giggle to myself when my son would do it. Just make sure she really isn't sick, but I do think she's just discovering herself and her world :)

Yes, they can fake a cough. :) Both of my children did this. My daughter is 10 months old and still does it. They know it gets your attention. Babies are smarter than they get credit for. That's why a baby cries because they know it will get your attention too. Your little actress is perfectly normal.

1 / 3