Facebook for a 6 Year Old?????

Ok ladies i am very disutrbed by this but im not sure if i am over reacting. my daughters grandmother created her a facebook account she is 6!!!!!!! i confronted her about it and she said she did it becuase my daughter wanted to play the zoo game on facebook. I am soo upset i think its inapropriate and dangerous.....Although.....i do have a facebook and i do put pictures up of my kids.....my page is completley private and i only have close firends and family on my page, i do not post locations or last names so i feel im being as safe as i can...my daughters grandma says i am overreacting and that she only has family on her page and that she will make it private. Does anyone think this is ok and harmless. Thanks for your time and input :)

Thanks everyone for affirming what i already was thinking myself...She is being stubborn and wont delete it so i have repoted it to facebook and have also let her dad know (its his grandmother) he will probobly have better luck getting it deleted if facebook doesnt do it first way inapropriate and dangerous and she can just play on pbs.org those games are much more her age

No -- FB is not for children.
Grandmother is out of line.
Grandmother needs her head examined.
LBC

Delete it.
There are SO many other games to play without being hooked up to any social network.
Grandma stepped way out of line on this one.

Too young in my opinion. Too many adult things on facebook--she could get into trouble really easily.

How many wrong steps can we count here? First she made the account, in violation of Facebook's age requirements, setting an example for your daughter that rules are not necessarily to be followed. Then she didn't ask you if it was OK, which tells your dear daughter that Mom need not always be consulted. Then, when you said you did not approve, she wanted to argue with you? No apology for overstepping her bounds? She wanted to defend her actions? So out of line!

First off, this is YOUR daughter. Second, the grandmother did this without your permission. Report the profile and Facebook will take it down. Say nothing to the grandmother about reporting it and pretend that you're done with the whole thing. If she keeps doing it, keep reporting it. It's NOT okay for her to do this. There's a reason that FB has an age restriction below 13 years old. My kids will be lucky if I allow them to have accounts before they're 16.

My 6 year old daughter has a facebook, BUT she doesn't know her password, it's private, has fake information, and she's only friends with relatives. She's only on there when I'm with her. I thought it would be a fun way for her to communicate with relatives, especially her grandma who's a facebook fanatic. Her teacher even thought it was a good way to help her with her writing/typing. She doesn't really play the games though. You do have to be careful about supervising kids when they're on there, because they can click on things that could harm your computer.

If my daughter's grandma had gotten her a facebook without talking to me about it, I would be very angry. It may seem harmless to her, but that's not her decision to make. I think it's only harmless if you're supervising, and you can't always trust someone else to do that, even if they are family. I think you did the right thing by standing up for yourself and deleting it, good for you! :-)

omg no that is not okay!! that's crazy. she's your daughter. tell her to delete it and to not do it again. that's really dangerous =P

He!! no that is not okay!! You are her mom, end of story. Grandma can give your DD all the ice cream & candy as she wants, but the line needs to be drawn at getting a FB.

Ditto Leslie... lets count the ways!!! She' in the black.

Additionally:

You know... my son wants to do lots of things, too.

He wants to play at the park at midnight. He wants to drive the car. He wants to eat brownies for every single meal. Be a surgeon/ astronaut/ videogame designer/ professional snowboarder.

Just because my son "wants" something, even something that in moderation or time or in certain situations COULD be okay, doesn't mean he gets it. Much less now. Much less without parental approval.

No -- FB is not for children.
Grandmother is out of line.
Grandmother needs her head examined.
LBC

NO WAY!

The human brain is not even fully developed until 26 years old.

Even many older Teens, cannot handle FB nor the ramifications of it and social networks.. or even about concepts of "privacy."

Ya know... Grandma SHOULD HAVE ASKED YOU FIRST about this.

There are TONS of other online games, for KIDS, that your daughter can play.
Gee, even www.pbskids.org

1 / 3