Face Rash on 4 Month Old.

My 4 month old boy has patches on his face, like on his cheeks one on his forehead and sides of his face. There are a few on his scalp. They are very dry and rough like eczema, which is what I think it is. My dr. has seen it and says its just dry skin however it has gotten worse. He sees the dr. again Tues. I have tried all kinds of lotions and some hydrocortisone(sp.). He drools a lot and sucks on his fists so that does not help, but he is starting to really rub and scratch at his face like it itches. If anyone has dealt with something simiular and has a recomendation I would appreciate it!

Thanks for all the great tips. We went for his check up today and the dr. said he thinks its a milk protein allergy since it has gotten so much worse. He has switched his formula to very expensive Alimentum. Hopefully in a couple weeks it will be gone.

We've had really good luck with Vaseline on my daughter's eczema. Twice a day, rub it in really well. Works great for us. Hope it helps you too!

Try Baby Aquaphor by Eucerin! Excellent item to have around the house!! It is great for irritated skin and great for diaper rash. It also helps prevent rashes.

My daughter has eczema as well. Another mom told me to put petroleum jelly on her after bath and this has really make her skin better.

My little one has eczema. I use pure virgin coconut oil on her skin, face included. It works well. No scratching, and no more new patches showning up. You can purchase it at health food stores.

I'd check his diet, also. If he's on milk-based formula, that might be causing a reaction. But, meanwhile, have you tried Eucerin cream? It's a bit heavy, and I'm not too sure about how it will work on the face. First, I'd probably try a little extra virgin olive oil and see if that gives him some relief. If not, a pediatrician had recommended Eucerin when my daughter had dry skin, but it was on her legs and buttocks. When my son had it, we used olive oil. We also stopped using all baby products and washed him using Dove. No soap on the face at all. Even now, I wash my children's faces with plain warm water and I also use a baby cloth on my five-year old daughter. I suffered with eczema for many years until I was an adult, and Dove was suggested to me many years ago by a pediatrician. The eczema is under control now. I also continue to wash my children's linen and underwear (and even clothes) using Dreft. Expensive, but very mild for children with sensitive skin. When I tried switching to Cheer or Tide, they both broke out in hives. Also, watch how often you are bathing him. I know he's 4-month-old, but try sponging him every other day and not full immersion. Hopefully, this will give him some relief until you get to doctor's office. I vaguely remember another cream that was herbal and available at Wal-mart. It comes in a green container and says specifically for eczema. I think that helped a little for my daughter, but the olive oil worked better and I could also use it for cooking! You can get a separate plastic container to pour the oil for body use. Hope this helps.

My daughter #2 had a rash on her face around 6-8 weeks. The Dr. said it was "normal" for a baby. I began investigating on my own and discovered it cleared up when I stopped drinking milk (I was nursing). The next Dr. I saw said, yes, it probably was a milk allegery. It was hard, but I avoided most milk products while nursing. Around 9 months I tried to eat pizza, and no rash! BUT she got an ear infection that didn't clear up until I stopped the milk products again 6 weeks later. She was tested at 18 months and was allergic to milk, eggs, citrus, cats, and dust mites. The good news is that she outgrew the milk allergy around age 5. Please investigate if there is an allergy connection rather than just treating the symptoms.

My son developed very bad eczema when he was 7 months old. I had recently switched to GAIN laundry detergent and it just triggered it. I found out about a company called Melaleuca, and they have AMAZING products that I can use and do not bother his skin (cleaners, laundry, even the scented stuff doesn't make him itch). He had it all over his body and it looked like an allergic reaction! It actually started on his abdomen, and felt like bumps that were invisible, and then it just got worse and worse until he was a red spotted mess, and one morning his eyes were swollen so back he looked like he'd been in the ring w/Rocky! I tried the steroid creams, cetaphil (soap and lotion), aveeno baby for eczema, anything and everything the Dr. recommended! When I switched to Melaleuca, the main reason I did so, was for their Renew lotion and bath oil. This stuff is a miracle! Safe for babies and faces! I have before and daily progress pictures if you want to see! And check out the website... www.melaleuca.com ! Email me if you'd like to see the pictures ____@____.com!

My 4-month-old had a similar problem. he has very delicate skin, had terrible baby acne for 6 weeks. When the acne finally cleared he started getting those rough red patches. I took him to the dr -- she said it was wind/sun/cold weather chapping! Their little faces are so delicate that they can get chapped after only a few minutes outside in the wind and cold [and they are too young for sunblock]. I slathered him with A&D -- the same stuff we use for diaper rash -- and I mean a LOT, so his skin was shiny, and it helped immensely. A&D is particularly good b/c it doesn't have a lot of stuff in it and won't hurt if he gets it in his mouth. I bet plain vaseline would be fine too, or if you use lanolin try that. I try to remember to put some on before we leave the house so I don't need to put so much on all the time.

Hope this helps ...

my son had the same problem. it spread all over his little body. it was eczema. we use eucerine (in the jar, not the bottle)as his daily lotion. also, hydrocortisone for any flares. we put baby oil or olive oil in his bath water, also. my boy had it on his scalp too so we'd put eucerine on his scalp too and it cleared up. the eucerine really helped to clear his whole skin. also, try using a humidifier during the winter months since that is when eczema gets worse. if you keep the moisture in the air it will help with his skin as well as help him avoid colds! :-)

good luck

Aquaphor has worked great for my 7 month old who has the same problem....

hi T.,
i'm very annoyed with your doctor. 'just' dry skin? when it's that persistent and itchy, it needs more than a toss-off like that.
that being said, i'd be extremely leery about putting steroid cream on such a tiny baby. the repercussions could be far worse than the original problem. i echo the suggestion of virgin coconut oil (it's solid until you apply it to the skin) or extra-virgin olive oil, just a dab. these are wonderful natural emollients that will not harm your baby.
good luck!
khairete

1 / 3