Face Care for Developing 12 Year Old Girl

My daughter is 12 years old and has started developing. So far her face is clear, but I would like to know what she can use to wash and care for her face now, before the oil and acne start! My sense is to just use Dove soap, but I wonder if anyone has any other ideas.

Thank you so much for your great responses! Someone suggested organics, to start her off that way. I will look into that. Meantime, I got some Neutrogena foaming face wash and Dove cucumber face wash. Both seem very mild, so we'll give them a try.

Thanks again,
A.

Dove should be fine, if she doesn't have any major skin issues. Otherwise I would take her to a dermatologist.

On a side note. I got my daughter The American Girls Care and Keeping of you Book. It has opened the doors for her to be confident to ask me things and not be embarassed because she thinks it is only happening to her.

If you have a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant near you, and you can find one at www.marykay.com there is a product called Velocity. It is designed just for teens. Great product.

The best "advice" I can give is to refer you to an excellent book by Paula Begoun. "Don't go to the cosmetics counter without me" is the title and she has a new edition out. For previous editions, I would go to the library. She gives practical skin care routines and talks about the myths and realities of skin care. Plus, she reviews most cosmetic companies/products based on ingredient lists and overall performance. Kind of like a dictionary or encyclopedia for skincare. The product I use is Neutrogena Fresh Foaming Cleanser. It's basic and animal cruelty free (important to me). Paula Begoun also has a website: http://cosmeticscop.com Click on "learn" at the left for some reviews, etc. Paula has created her own line as well which I have not tried as of yet. Good luck!

My kids (now 18 and 16) went through the same thing, as most teens do. You're smart to be proactive about this. I did a lot of research. Keeping the face clean and hydrated is important. Also, the websites (there are a lot -- check them out) stressed the importance of clean pillow cases and keeping hands off the face. Google "acne" and you'll find some super helpful websites.

My pediatrician recommended Dove for my daughter from birth. That was 38 years ago... she has never had any real problems, has a lovely complection and is still using Dove!

I'm an Avon Rep and since I was a pre-teen my mother purchased Avon Clear Skin and as I got older I been using that product and Avon Solution also. It really depends on the skin (dry, sensitive or oily) would give me more of an insight on which produce would work best for your child. Feel free to give me a call and I will try my best to match the right facial treatment for your child.

Thank You
###-###-####

I went to a dermatologist when I was 12 to get advice on caring for my skin. He recommended (and still does through my pregnancy) to use either Purpose brand facial cleanser or Neutragena brand cleanser both a.m. and p.m. And, to moisturize after each wash with Neutragena face moisturizer. He advised never to use a bar soap intended for the body. You are a great mom to get her started early on a healthy skin care regime --- it has made a huge difference in the quality & look of my skin. If it's in the budget, a trip to the dermatologist would be beneficial for both of you to get advice & all the answers you may have to issues now and potential issues. No, I don't work for a dermatologist - I just adore the one I've gone to for the last 21 years (off & on) when I have concerns. If you'd like his name, just let me know. :)

I have a 10 year old will be 11 in June and she is starting to get acne here and there.
I have her on a skin care regimine that she loves and the product smells great!!!! If your daughter is anything like mine she is hard to get to do anything on a regular basis right now.
I am a Senior Mary Kay Consultant and my daughter as well as other clients love this gentle product called velocity that is specially designed for teens!!!
Please call me at ###-###-#### and I can tell you everything you would love to know about it! You may also visit my websight (free delivery) at www.marykay.com/valerieminler
This would be a great Valentines Gift for your daughter!!!
I Look forward to talking to you!
V.

I too struggled for years with all the bombardment of facial products, what is the best one? I've learned in my lifetime that when you see someone who has what you want, mostly I mean character, you do what they do. I work for eye physicians, and an elderly woman would come in for routine checkups. I was always impressed with how clear and nice her skin was for a woman in her 80's. She explained to me that she never uses soap, only use products like Noxema, and to not let the sun damage the skin. Also, moisturize. Now that being said, I don't think young ladies have such trouble with moisture, but due to changes in body chemistry, oily skin seems to hit most. Noxema is really a very good product for reducing oil, but not drying out skin. I have used it now for many years and my skin is problem free, now for the sun.. I'm afraid I learned that advice long after my crazy "tan til you drop" days of my teens. There is a lot out there on the market for skin, but all I know is for an 80 year old woman, her skin was lovely.

Sincerely,
N. B

I also have two chiildren, a 12-year old daughter and an 8-year old son. I do marketing for a wellness company that manufactures all of the products you need for personal care as well as cleaning. The products are all without harmful chemicals. Part of that line is an inexpensive combination toner, cleanser that is great for young ladies to use to get in the habit of taking care of their skin. Then if they do have a break-out, we have a great acne fighting kit for about $15 that works great! I'd love to share more about it with you. If you are intersted, please e-mail me at ____@____.com you can see the reviews of my company in the Business Directory under Wellness Company. I am in Manchester MD. Good luck!

My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong everybody!) is that acne is unavoidable, but it is manageable. I faced serious acne problems as a teen and tried everything. What I realized after years of trying every soap, and acne medicine was that my skin was actually reacting to them. I had a friend with NO ACNE who told me that he and all his sisters avoided very bad acne by using no soap whatsoever. I was shocked by this, but tried it myself and found that my skin was far less sensitive, meaning it broke out less frequently and less seriously. So, I would suggest laying off the soap, which dries out skin and encourages production of more oil, and just encourage her to rinse her face with warm water and pat it dry each morning.

I'm sure someone will probably want to dispute this, but it really worked for me!

1 / 3