Face Breakouts

Hi Ladies, I'm 38 years old and am so tired of dealing with breaking out on my face. If you have suffered from break outs and have found something that works for you and keeps your face clear, please share. I'm very, very senistive and so products like Murad, Skin Medica, Obagi, etc. all seem to break me out. I'm currently using the Proactiv line and it's OK, but I still break out and it's very drying. My OB/GYN is putting me on a low estrogen pill to see if it's hormone related. I don't wish to have people who sell products to comment but only those who honestly have suffered with breakouts and found something that works. I really appreciate your help! As a side note, it's not severe but just one or two blemishes all the time, I never feel like my face is completely clear.

As always, you all are AMAZING! It's always nice to know we are not alone in our struggles, even if it's something as simple as breakouts! I look forward to trying some of your suggestions. Thank you so much for your time and willingness to share! Hugs!!

Hi. So sorry. I have the same challenges you have. Breakouts of one or two at a time...a nuisance more than anything. Here is what I do:
1. Cetaphil cleanser
2. Clinque sensitive skin clarifying lotion (no alchohol)
3. Zindaclin anti biotic cream for just spots (nothing with benzoyl peroxide).

I find the above manages it well. i also use a good cover-up for the pimples in the daytime.

Jilly

1. Cetaphil cleanser

Jilly

I had the same issue, nothing severe, but my face was never clear and my skin is very sensitive to all those harsh products! What I just started using every night and LOVE is 100% pure passion fruit oil. I ordered for around $7 from Natural Bliss' website. I noticed immediately how much smoother and glowy my skin became, my breakouts seriously stopped overnight and my skin is more even-toned and this is only a few weeks into starting! It does smell a bit strong when you 1st put it on, but it soaks in quickly :) Here's the link, it shipped really quickly for me:

http://www.mynaturalbliss.com/passionfruit_oil.html

Have you had yourself tested for food allergies or food intolerances? I had lots and lots of issues with acne/my face breaking out. When I got sick at the age of 40 (still breaking out just terribly; used the strongest Dermatology pharmaceutical drugs there were), I went to see an alternative doctor. Not only did that doctor make me go off all nonessential pharma drugs (I was on 12 drugs; took me off all but 2 drugs), she also tested me. I found out I had casein allergy and a severe intolerance to gluten and soy.

Now if I stay away from/don't consume foods made with those ingredients, I am fine. If I get naughty and eat one of them (or something with one of them in it), I will break out on my face, neck, or back.

Remember: The skin is the biggest detoxifying area of the body. If your body is trying to get rid of something (say, you ate something your body doesn't like and it is "detoxifying" itself), it's a sure bet that the detoxification is going to be through your skin. Some people have facial acne issues. Others suffer from psoriasis (sp) on other parts of the body.

I also switched over to organic food, got rid of junk/processed foods in my diet, drink reverse-osmosis water, and try to make sure I get enough sleep (I'm still working on getting myself motivated to exercise frequently, but that's next on my list.).

If I stay away from the foods that offend my body, my skin clears up and I don't have to use anything, not even anything over-the-counter.

However, for those one or two acne bumps I get, I like to use Burt's Bees acne serum. Works like a charm!

Hi there...I was about the same up until a year ago. I tried everything, but it turned out that the simplest thing worked.

I started using Johnson and Johnson's Clean and Clear for sensitive skin (the light yellow one, not the orange). I gently massage it into my wet face with my fingers, and then before I rinse, I gently use an exfoliating face cloth, just one or two gentle rubs on each area of my face and neck (the cloths are white cotton on one side and a loofah type material on the other...you can get them at Walmart in the loofah aisle for about $1.99 a peice). Then I rinse gently under the shower. I always wash my face after I shampoo and condition my hair, since the conditioner on my skin makes me break out.

I use a light face moisturizer called "Philosophy: Hope in a Jar." I always put it on while my face is still wet. It makes a huge difference.

I use Bare Minerals makeup also, and while it drastically decreased my breakouts, I didn't really stop completely breaking out until I changed my face wash and moisturizer.

Also, if you have long hair like me, braid or put your hair back at night when you're sleeping. If I get lazy for a few days and don't braid it, I usually break out.

Best!

Cetaphil is great!!! I am having issues around my chin area...I think though it's because I am touching my face too much...You know putting your finger to your lips or hands under chin. Try to be sure you aren't touch your face which can cause breakouts. Yes sometimes with the change in BC that might help. I would go witht the Cetaphil cleanser and use make-up that won't clog your pores like the loose bare minerals line.

If none of these suggestions works, check with a naturopathic doctor or homeopathic doctor. They will look to see what is the cause instead of just treating the symptoms. Be sure to get a referral, perhaps here, as there are some weird ones out there.

Have you tried drinking lots of water and avoiding fats & sugars? Some people in my family swear by this.

To add to Jade's comment, dairy is a huge culprit for acne. If you drink a lot of milk, try stopping for a month or two to see if it might be contributing to your break-outs. It's not readily thought of, but your diet is the first thing to consider whenever there is a health question.

Eat mostly fruits, veggies, whole grains, legumes/beans, nuts and seeds. Minimize animal protein and IF hormones are involved, eating conventionally grown animals could be contributing to that as well. Most large commercial farms use hormones in their animals to accelerate growth.

Back to fruit and veg...I know people who have great success clearing their skin using a whole food supplement so I know that increasing the number of veggies you get each day should help. And avoiding negative foods and ingredients would make a difference as well. The skin is your largest organ and some detoxification happens through the skin, leading to break-outs.

If you would like any documentation of these concepts, please feel free to contact me and I'd be happy to share. Good luck! D.

1 / 3