F On Report Card

My 9 year old made an F on his report card in Grammar this past 6 weeks. What is a reasonable punishment for a boy this age?

Well first of all I would say it depends on why he made an f. If he is just being defiant and refuses to do his work or care then
some sort of punishment is suitable. (restriction or whatever) But, if he is sincerely struggling in school and needs help with his work in my opinion he should not be punished. I think this gives the wrong message to a kid who needs help in school to punish them, I do not think this motivates a child who is struggling academically. And frankly I do not agree with the whole grading system for elementary school, I think there is too much emphasis put on grades.

I know this is rather a harsh punishment but bad grades at my house receive consequences such as.....you're not doing anything extra cirricular, playing, tv, skating, bike riding, etc. etc. For as long as it takes to bring up the grade.
B. (we are at 1 A and the rest B's from C's, D's, and F's.)

Before worrying about punishement I would be worried about the reason for the F. If he really is not grasping and comprehending the information he shouldn't be punished for it, that will just discourage him more. Each person learns differently, it could be that the teachers methods don't speak to him. I had this problem with Math my whole school career, I would really try but I just couldn't get it. Finally, I got a teacher that explained the concept in a different way that I could grasp. However if you know he got an F for sheer fooling around than a proper punishment is to get blank copies of his grammer work and have him do it while other kids are playing outside.

First, I think you need to figure out why he made such a bad grade. Doe he understand? Does he need extra help? Is he bored? Does he need to be challenged or given alternate work if he already knows the material? Is he scared to ask questions in class? Is he scared of what others may think if he has the wrong answer? I would talk to the teacher first, to see what is causing the F, and then you can make a decision about punishment.

Punishment is not in order. What is: for the next quarter of the school year, every evening he and you going over the parts of his grammar book he is not getting, until his grade comes up. You must be willing to sacrifice time for this, and he will learn what he has not learned. If the problem is him just not willing to work at it, he will learn that it is better to work at it at school, because if he doesn't, he will sacrifice his evenings.

Did you discuss it with him first? How were his grades in general before the F ? Until these questions are answered, I couldn't really offer an opinion.

Sincerely_______

Good Morning - I do not agree with punishment for poor grades. First, is this a new thing? Or does he struggle with this as a usual thing? You might want to find out if something is going on in school that could precipitate this. Perhaps he has a learning disability (this is not shameful, but if it exists, needs to be addressed). Don't punish him as this will reinforce what I suspect might be lack of self esteem at this point. Sit with him every night over his homework, help him by giving him nudges in the right direction, and reinforce when he succeeds. Punishment for poor grades is usually punitive and increases the behaviour you are wanting to change. Talk with his teacher too - he or she might have a positive solution. Good luck.

L., Instead of focusing on his punishment, I would try to find out the cause and it might have to do with not doing his homework or turning it in on time. I have a nine year old that makes straight A's but its because I am on him daily. I make him drag his finished homework out of his folder so that I can examine it. I show him how to do better work. The teachers aren't demanding the same level of grammar and penmanship they did when we were kids 30-40 years ago. I think boys their age are easily distracted by other things that they need lots of help with their homework. They need good communication with the teachers and it has to be a priority at home- before anything else is done. Both of my kids are required to have their homework completed before I get home from work. If we have to do it over because its sloppy or incorrect then we do it twice. We did this in geade school for my 13 year old and now he sails through his classes and is a straight A student and I don't have to do anything anymore, but it all starts in grade school. Good luck L..

I would not say that it is a punishment but have him bring all of his work to you and check it. Talk to the teacher also. He may not be getting it. I have a third grader and it is a lot to learn but they can. Bringing home his work for yall to go over and discuss would help get him to understand the material better.

1 / 3