Eye Shadow Makeup Causing Puffy Eyes

Back in November my eyelids from the crease to the lashes puffed up on eye. I didn't wear makeup for about three weeks and it went away. Started wearing eye makeup again and then both eyes puffed up. Again I didn't wear makeup for about three weeks and it went away. After trial and errors I find it's the eye shadow that's doing this. I can put it on in the morning but by around 3:00 in the afternoon I'll start getting an itch and then the lid starts puffing up. It takes about a week for it to go back down to normal. The dermotologists seems to think I'm allergic to eye shadow and suggested I try non-allergenic eye makeup, but how can that be after wearing it for the past 30 years! The only eye-makeup I can wear is eye-liner and mascara with no problems.

Needless to say I've tried Allmay, Covergirl, Loreal, and Physician's Formula, and Bare Minerals with the same results.

Has anyone had this happen to them and are there any suggestions for non-allergenic or natural eye shadows.

Have you tried Mary Kay or Avon? Also, could it be that there might've been some kind of bacteria that may've gotten in the shadow or on the applicator? Do you wash and/or sanitize the applicator at all? Perhaps that will help if you did. What about trying a new container w/the same shadow?? Are you removing the eye shadow at night w/a hypoallergenic remover too? How about cleansing the eyelid area after removing the makup? It may be the brand too. That's strange that you would start having this reaction after using the same shadow for years. Maybe you just now are developing an allergy to it but I'd try the same shadow, just a new container & see if that helps first & again, consider Mary Kay or Avon. I've never had trouble w/their makup so far & their products are supposed to be hypoallergenic, at least I know MK is supposed to be. Hope this helps, good luck!

I have worked for Clinique for 13 years and see this all the time. The body changes and allergies can develop at any time.
Some are allergic to the dye in eye shadow. Red in particular. So that would rule out any purple, blue or pink shadow. Sparkle can irritate and fragrance. I would stick with neutral colors (although I've seen allergies to these as well), make sure it is fragrance free, and maybe put concealer or base on eyelids to give it a sort of "barrier" before you apply the shadow. Make sure your shadow is new and your applicators/brushes are clean. Or apply with a cotton swab, so you know it is bacteria free.
Try Clinique. We are fragrance free and allergy tested which means we actually put the finished product on humans when we test to see if there can be a reaction. It goes a step further than "hypo-allergenic" which just means the ingredients in the product are not known to cause a reaction, but who knows what can happen once things are mixed together?!
Good Luck! And there is nothing wrong w/ wearing just eyeliner and mascara, think of all the time you will save! :) I feel these two products are the biggest difference makers when it comes to making eyes stand out.

i have developed allergies to makeup i've worn for years, including expensive hypo-allergenic stuff. elizabeth arden sends my poor eyes into the puffed-shut zone, and i've found that the older i get, the more intolerant i get of ANY mascara that is any color but basic black. this is after decades of wearing pretty much anything.
it stinks, but there ya go.
stay with very good quality natural-ingredients products and use them sparingly. the high-priced department store cosmetics are worse for my eyes than cheap bargain-basement brands.
khairete

We do develop allergies to things that we've used for years. I'm allergic to many foods and it seems I develop a new allergy every year. It's the frequent exposure that causes the body to build up antigens against it.

I'm not able to wear eye shadow or mascara because they make my eyes red and itchy. I've tried several different brands and not found one that worked for me. I hope that someone knows of other brands that might work.

Later: My allergist told me that most cosmetic allergies are to the perfume/scent, chemical dye, and most often to the preservative. Look up a list of cosmetic preservatives so that you'll recognize them. Look for unscented products and those colored with a natural ingredient. I don't know if there is a product that would fit that bill but you could try to find one or eliminate one each time you try a new product.

:Later, Benedryl does not relieve allergies that affect the eyes. I don't think the newer non drowsy ones do either. Otherwise I could wear make up. I've been on antihistamines 24-7 and still had the same intense itchiness and redness.

How old is your makeup it does expire it should be thrown out after awhile and especially since your having issues with puffines...Makeup is a breeding ground for bacteria and all other types of illnesses from eye,akeups to lipsticks and glosses.Replace all your makeup.Look on the product lables for nonallergenic and natural formula.Maybe your makeup is too old maybe not but if your trying different brands and they are all given you eye puffinesses then ditch them and go with what you can wear...

I have pretty much the same thing, but it extends to anything near my eyes as well (on cheeks). I found through trial and error that Benefit works for me. It is not hypoallergenic or anything, but it still works even though hypoallergenic doesn't. You may want to experiment with cheaper brands. They also work better.

The body does change and allergies can develop but that is usually because of a nutritional change. If your diet has changed, or you've aged and your diet didn't change with you, allergies will develop. I always recommend that you take an age appropriate absorbable multivitamin to maintain that extra ummmph!

Also, there is a possibility that the makeup is not bothering you but some bacteria has gotten into it and there is an irritant there. That's the reason makeup experts recommend that you throw things out every 3-6 months. You can also go to www.cosmeticsdatabase.com and see if there is an irritant in your makeup that will cause you to develop an allergy. I use a non-toxic, natural line called Sei Bella that is wonderful if you're looking for suggestions.

Hope this helped!

Shaklee has a line called MinerellesĀ®. It is anti-aging and there are 8 patents on the line. All Minerelles eyeshadows provide silky smooth formulas that blend easily and are ophthalmologist-tested. They won't irritate, crease, flake, or build up around the eye area.
If you are interested, let me know.
V.

1 / 3