Eye Discharge

I am wondering if anyone has experienced this with their child. I have a 15 month old boy who seems to have constant eye discharge. When he was younger it seemed like it was only his left eye and happened when he had a cold or was sick. Now it seems like it is all the time and it is in both eyes. In the morning, his eyes are "gooped" shut and as the day goes his eyes produce large eye "boggers" that don't clear away easily. We have not been to an allergist, just the pediatrician who said it was a clogged tear duct and that they hope to have those cleared up by the time the child is one. He did mention that there is a surgery to open the tear duct but I am not interested in that at this time. Has anyone experienced this with their little one? What helped? I think my next step is an allergist but I am just curious about other peoples experiences.

We went to the pediatrician this morning and they swabbed his eye to check for a bacterial infection. We have also been refered to a pediatric opthamologist to check his tear ducts. Thanks for all of your replys!

I have 4 children. Two of which had this problem. To help open up the tear duct we had to use a warm moist cloth which also helped loosen all the goop in their eyes. We did go to an allergist and that got rid of it after a while.

Good Luck,

My daughter did this too. From birth until about a year and half. Her's was only in one eye. I found that breast milk (drops in the eye) worked best and when she got adjusted by her chiropractor, she would go a few days in between the 'clogging'. If it is a clogged tear duct, he will outgrow it, it just takes a long time. If its allergies, try the chiropractor. They do wonders for the little ones:)

I do not recommend the surgery until he is much older. Both of my Daughters had the clogged tear duck since birth, and my pediatrician told me to massage it. By massaging it, you help get some of the "goop" out and it helps unclog it. My oldest daughter is 5 and her sister will be 2 in July, they do not have any problems with their eyes now.

My experience with this has been eye infections - pink eye. If the goop is green or similar color, you may want to test for pink eye and make sure it is not an eye infection that needs antibiotic treatment. I would suspect this since it develops during or after a cold and it has spread to both eyes.

T.,

Welcome to the club, "Mothers Against Surgery their Children Need".
IN the 50's and 60's every child needed to have their tonsils taken our. In the 80's and 90's all God's Children wound up with TUBES! and now in 2000's the fashoinable surgery is the TEAR DUCT surgery.

As medicine gets better and better, our children will continue to have pediatric surgery that will address the current issues facing Moms of the day.

I can hear you unwilllingness to have the surgery in the letter but you should be thankful that there is now a answer to your child's issue. Eye infections are serious and should not be ignored. First, give yourself the permission to do everything that you can find out about to help your child to make this problem vanish. If after you have exhausted all avenues, then you will feel comfident that you tried everything to help your child. Realize though if he gets to school without the neded surgery and continues to have "buggers' in his eyes, that he may become a target for the bullies of his class.

It is a well documented fact that children with chronic sinus issues do worse in school and also become the picked on student with name calling. These children also have a harder time in school because they DONT FEEL GOOD WITH THEIR SINUS HEWDACHES, STUFFED UP NOSES, AND DRIPPING NOSES. Kids can be crule.

Hearing that your child needs surgery is frighting and very expensive as well. But your child will continue to have infections and drainage if it is not fixed. Good luck in your search and decision.

Keep Mothering,
Ms C.

my lil girl had a slight problem with her eyes sticking shut when she woke up - her doctor gave us a cream to rub on it before she went to bed and at naps. i believe it was the same stuff or similar to that in the hospital they use when babies are born. ERYTHROMYCIN OPHTHALMIC OINTMENT is what the tube says - also i think ,y doctor gave it to me for stys in my eyes when i was little. if u havent tried this ointment ask ur son's doctor about it.

Did U check for infections ? Did U check for sinus ? Did U check for allergic reaction to fragrances, foods, clothing, etc.........

Extraordinary,

" Mr. B "

My son had a similar experience, his eyes weren't gooped up though. My suggestion would be to see an pediatric opthomoligst before you see an allergist. We saw Dr. Zach Pollard. Good Luck.

Hi T.,

My second child had a blocked tear duct as well, basically from the time he was born. The pediatrician sent us to a pediatric opthamologist and they said if it doesn't open by the time he turned one, then it probably wouldn't open on its own. We did have the surgery when he was about 13 months old and it really was no big deal- it was quick and painless for him and we were home by lunch. The hardest part was not eating or drinking beforehand, but they typically schedule the youngest kids first to make that easier on them. Good luck!

1 / 3