Eye Blinking/scrunching in 6 Year Old

My son has started to do this weird thing with his eyes. He scrunches them up really tight just for a second, and does it repeatedly. He says his eyes are wet and he has to do that. I thought that maybe it is allergies, but I am also concerned that it could be something else (torrets? OCD?) We are going to his pediatrician in a few weeks when he turns 7, but I am wondering if I should bring him in sooner. Thanks for your help!

It may still be allergies or if he got something in his eye there may be a scratch or infection. Could be he is having a harder time seeing now too. Maybe at least call the Dr now let them know the symptoms and how often and how long and see if they think he should be seen sooner.

My son who is 4 was doing the same thing for about 6 weeks. The pediatrician said they don't worry about it if it is just one "tic". They only worry if there are several. It will most likely just pass.

His vision was my first thought. Then allergies. I'd take him to an eye doctor first. A pediatrician will simply refer him to an eye doctor and if he thinks it is allergies will simply prescribe medication. There are natural ways to get rid of allergies that don't involve weakening his immune system.

It wouldn't hurt to take him to an eye doctor. Perhaps he needs glasses.

I did this when I was in elementary school. I knew I was doing it, but I couldn't stop it. My mother was also concerned, but after several visits to the pediatrician and some tests run, nothing was wrong with me. It was just a weird thing I did, kind of like a nervous twitch or something. I eventually outgrew it. My best advice is to not draw attention to it. I got made fun of a little bit at first for doing it, but soon the other kids just got used to it and eventually I stopped doing it....I can't even tell you when it stopped.....I probably did it for a couple of years.

Last year around June I started noticing my son (6) blinking repeatedly. After observing this behavior for a month I started noticing repetitive noises. I quickly made an appt with the doctor. My son was diagnosed with motor tics. If you do not know tourettes cannot be diagnosed unless the symptoms are present for more than a year without remissions lasting longer than three months. If you haven't already done so, talk to his teacher to see if he is doing this at school. Also observe your son and watch for more signs. Children with tourettes have greater issues than just tics. Not to alarm you but some of the combining issues associated with tourettes are Sensory Processing Disorders, OCDs, Asperger’s Syndrome, and anxiety issues. Check out these great websites for more information: http://www.tsa-usa.org/; http://www.spdfoundation.net/about-sensory-processing-dis...; for more information. When you make an appt with your doctor tell the receptionist that you need a longer appt time due to more in depth questions. I want to also share with you that if you son is diagnosed with motor tics or tourettes he and you will be in for a long confusing wild ride. Good Luck and Best Wishes!

I did this when I was about 6 as well. It has turned out , (I'm 29 now) that it was just a sort of nervous twitch. I have a few others, but they really only come out when I am super stressed or tired. If it's a tick, then it should go away with age, or at least as he grows he will be able to control it more. I still do weird little tick like things, but generally no one notices unless I point out to them that I am doing it. Once you have ruled out a medical problem, then don't worry about it. Likely the more you point it out to him, the more he will do it. Good Luck!

Has he been to see an optometrist? I ask, because he isn't too young. And anything specifically with his eyes, I think it is best to go to an optometrist first off. My personal thoughts are this: Perhaps he is squinting his eyes in order to clear up his vision - squinting makes my eyes water, but because I am nearsighted, it also helps clear up my vision... If he hasn't been to see an optometrist, that would be my suggestion. My son has been wearing glasses since preschool. One day, prior to glasses and prior to him ever going to an optometrist, he was watching the purple dinosaur on TV. They were showing a blurry screen, which depicted how a child who needed glasses sees the world. Luckily, I was standing right there, because my son told me "Mommy, that's how I see!". Wow. I took him to my optometrist's office, and sure enough! He was sorely in need of glasses! (And his pediatrician's simple eye exams never caught this) Once my son got his glasses, he was a new child! He had been very quiet and kept to himself at preschool - but once he had glasses he became very confident of himself and now is very outgoing and friendly.
I hope this has helped somewhat. Best of luck to you and your son!

Rule out the physical first before you think about nuerological issues. I would go to the eye doctor first, and also go to the pediatrician and address allegies, and if those turn out not to be invloved, you will probably be referred. If it were Torrette or OCD, the blinking would not be the only thing you were seeing, unless there are other behavioral issues too, you are probably dealing with a phsyical problem.

1 / 3