Extra Large or Swollen "Ball"

My son has a testicle that has become very large over the last 2 days. It is about 4 times the size of his other one and is sort of purple. He is 2 and we are hoping to see the doctor tomorrow. I would appreciate any comments on what might be wrong.Thanks.

well we went to the doctor and he said it was something called hydroseal. He said it was probably from coughing to much and it should go away by itself. Thanks for all the comments. God Bless!

It may be a hydrocele which just means that fluid is trapped in the testicle. Nothing dangerous but may have to be drained. You can put a flashlight to the testicle and if it illuminates you know it's a clear fluid as opposed to a mass or bluid up of blood.

I had the same thing happen to me one time with my son when he was about 2. After finding his then peach sized ball, I rushed him to the ER for fear of something being twisted. It turned out that he just had some inflammation and they gave us a cream. But, before finding out that it was just inflammation we got the talk about it maybe being a twisted testicle. They did an ultrasound and found that he was fine. The doctor told me that if he had a twisted testicle that they would have had to operate on it within a four hour period to make sure and save the family jewels. Otherwise, the testicle would be lost. I hope that this is just inflammation and not anything serious.

My son had this and it was a hernia. He had outpatient surgery and he was bouncing around and climbing within hours--which he wasn't supposed to do but it's not easy keeping a 4 year old boy down!

Get him to the doctor asap! My son had the same thing when he was nine - its called "Torqued Testicles". I believe it is an infection and if not treated immediately can cause serious problems. Not to mention the pain it causes. Best of luck to your son!

When my son had this happen at 18 months of age, we took him to the doctor right away. He had a hernia and had to have surgery. It was a simple surgery, but still scary when they are so young. Don't mess around, our doctor said if we did not have the surgery done, he could become sterile and we did not want that to happen.

My son had what they call a hydrocoele, which is basically a fluid hernia in his testicle. It happens when the testicles drop from the body but the hole doesn't close up. His pediatrician noticed it around 1 year. I hadn't noticed anything, nor had a previous medical staff. We watched it for a year and it didn't go down on its own, as we hoped, so my son had minor surgery to close the hole, done by a pediatric urologist. He's fine now. His main symptom was swelling. It never turned colors though. I would have him checked ASAP, even if you have to go to the ER.

His seminal vesicle could be tangled up with the artery that supplies blood to that testicle, causing the blood flow to be reduced or even stopped. You need to get him in to see the dr as soon as possible. If blood flow has been stopped for more than 2 hours, his testicle could become necrotic and have to be removed. It could also just be inflammed. He needs to be seen as soon as possible.

It could be any of a multitude of conditions= wait for the doctor to examine it and follow through with any diagnostic tests prescribed. If you trust your doctor, wait on their diagnosis. It will not do you any good to read these opinions (great as they are!) It will only make you more anxious.

1 / 3