Explaining a Soul or Spirit Going to Heaven but Not the Body to a 4 Year Old.

Today we went to my husband's grandma's wake. My DD didn't know her well but just visited for a weekend in Jan. Anyway, at the wake, my daughter's cousin who lives in the same town as the great grandma was there and completely broke down and was bawling crying the whole time (3 hours!). My daughter just didn't understand how Grandma could be in heaven when her body was right there. I tried to explain to her that our soul goes to heaven but our body stays here but she didn't get it and I couldn't think of a kid-friendly way to explain it to her. She wasn't too upset or anything. I think she just doesn't understand which is fine, but I was just wondering that since the funeral is tomorrow (she's being creamated so no burial), you ladies might have a good way to help her understand what's happening. She's very bright and 4 1/2 if that matters.

I love love the glove idea!!! I can't leave her at home. We are 5 hours away from home. I think that the glove idea will be be so good for the young great-grandkids who are 4, 4, 5, and 7.

Thanks guys! She did well. She didn't ask my anthing today and did well at the funeral. she was a little shifty and a tad noisy, but until we get home, I don't think I'll mention anything. She walked past the casket and simply told her great grandma "bye" real sweet-like. :)

Use the example of a seed that produced fruit (an outward substance we can enjoy - like an apple) but over time that fruit can get old, spoiled or eaten and is no good anymore, however, the seed inside is the real thing and it goes back to the earth and produces a new fruit/tree and life.

I just had a similar conversation with my 5 y/o son. I told him that when people die they become angels and live in heaven and watch over us and that the body is left behind to be put to rest because angels are spirits and do not need a body to exist. He got it!

We use a glove in our Sunday School lessons for kids this age. The glove is the body. The hand is the spirit. When the hand enters the glove, it becomes full of life. When the hand is removed from the glove, the hand (spirit) moves on to heaven, while the glove (body) stays on earth.

When I was young, it was explained to me that the soul was like a little light that lives inside you, and when you die, the light flies as fast as a sunbeam to heaven. It helped that there was a song we sang called "This little light of mine" so I was better able to visualize it.

I used to think the light was like a battery that never died. It's just when the toy wore out, God had to take the battery out and put it in a new toy. (My ideas didn't jive with the church and I got scolded a lot. Subsequently I haven't been to church since I was about 15. That way I can read the books and make up my own mind without being mocked or scolded.)

I don't know exactly what you believe, but the glove idea is great! It's also good to explain not that you "have" a soul but you "are" a soul.

Many people think that a soul is something you have. It's not. You HAVE a body. You ARE a soul. The soul is YOU.

It's confusing because Hollywood sometimes shows that people barter their soul or that they can have their soul stolen. The soul IS you. When you die, you go to heaven (or whatever you believe) leaving your body behind. That part that is YOU goes to be with God (or whatever you believe).

I am very sorry for your loss.

A few years ago I took a religious theories class and was able to study some aboriginal tribes who had some creative explanations for bodies and souls that you may be able to use for your kiddo.

According to these tribal people, bodies were like "homes" for our souls. Our souls lived inside of our bodies until they needed new homes in another world. They explained that souls could come and go from bodies (just as people did from home to home) through the use of dreams. When you dream about someone, it is their soul visitng your soul in you body or "home" and this is why we can dream about people who may no longer be in this world.

My memory is a bit blurred and I don't want to misinterpret the tribal beliefs but I think I got the jist of it here.

I hope this helps!

you have to understand it first & this helps me

you are a soul, you have a body

your soul is forever & you just use your body while you are here, when it gets sick or old you leave it behind & get to go to heaven with all the other souls

When I was a child, I experienced many, many losses. Way more than a child should have to endure.
My parents told me about the body giving out and the spirit living on, etc.

I don't know....
To this day I feel like we are so much more than brains and organisms.
I happen to be a prolific dreamer and have been since I was a child.
When you are asleep, your body is still. When they put you out for surgery, your body is is numbed and out. However, your mind still travels and dreams and I just don't believe that it all goes away when we pass.
I truly believe our spirits our still here even if our bodies aren't. I hope there is a heaven. I don't really know. I haven't visited there, myself. But, I just don't see how this energy and thoughts and the minds that we have can be extinquished once our bodies give out. Our spirits go on.

This is just my personal belief, again formed at a very early age. I have many loved ones who've passed who still visit me in my dreams or I find little signs from them along the way.

It is so sad to miss the physical closeness of someone that we love. That's the hardest part. It's a hard concept for children to understand. But, truly, our loved ones never leave us and they live on in our hearts and memories. They travel around as angels looking after us.

I think the wake was enough. I would let your daughter sit out the rest and let her try to understand things in simple, positive, kid terms as difficult as that may sound.
The people we love never truly leave us.
They live on in our memories and our thoughts.

Just my opinion.

1 / 3