Expiration Date on Honey?

Hi everyone...I love this site...I've asked so many questions and now almost depend on you guys for any questions that may pop up for me....anyhoo......I'm just starting to get into making smoothies....just wondering if honey thats in the cupboard has an expiration date or how long does it last for?I've heard it never goes bad to 6 months....oh and if you have any smoothie favorite recipes that would be a bonus!!!Thanks moms....(& dads too!)

Honey lasts forever. As a matter of fact, some crystalized honey has been found in the Egyptian pyramids and was noted to still be safe for consumption when tested. Just don't give it to an infant under 12 months because of a possible bout of botulism (I think that's the one).

I heard it reported that archaeologists found 2000 year old jars of honey in Egyptian tombs and they still tasted delicious!

Honey lasts forever. Like salt, or pickles. (they've found all 3 in tombs in egypt, so by "forever" at least 3000 years). The extremely high density of (either sugar in honey's case or salt) makes it antimicrobial.

((Super brief science: Everything that is soluable -gasses / liquids- tries to make itself "equal". When there is a high concentration of "something" (from nutrients in your blood to sugar to salt) the water naturally gets sucked from the less concentrated area into the higher concentration. Bacteria, fungus, viruses land on pure salt and sugar all the time... and the water gets sucked out of them... killing them instantly. The teensy amount of liquid absorbed by the sugar or salt then almost immediately evaporates. That's why we've salted meats and veggies or sugared meats/fruits -sugar cure- for millennia. Because the high concetration of salt or sugar kills all the germs that make food spoil. A note on jam -aka sugar cured fruit- you may notice that it will grow mold BUT if you're equally observant, it only grows on the liquidy top bit. You can scrape that off and *poof* no more mold. Not like cheese which will "vein" with mold))

Honey + ______ (dairy, for example) does go bad over time... but honey all by itself just crystalizes. When it does, all you have to do is put it in a waterbath and heat it until liquid. As it cools it thickens again. It'll crystalize faster, once it already has, but it stays good essentially forever).

The reason one doesn't give honey to infants is because most honey contains botulinum spores. Just like we're constantly exposed to LOW levels of anthrax and tetnus (it's in almost all soils), the spore that causes botulism poisoning exists in tiny amounts thoughout nature, but is concentrated in all forms of honey (especially raw honey, pasteurizing decreases but does not eradicate all of the spores... but raw honey has 'em all... one more reason why "natural" is not always best). It takes a couple of months to years for our immune system to learn how to cope with it... so we typically avoid giving infants honey. (Many infant's immune systems are just fine with it... but do you really want to find out if yours isn't?... is the reason for waiting)

Say an "round top" can of botulinum infected food = 1000. What's found in honey = 5. What's found walking around breathing air is .01. A healthy immune system can easily fight off 100 without batting an eye. A compromised or underdeveloped -like in infants- immune system can only fight off 1. (These numbers are just descriptive, the real numbers are much higher...can = trillions, etc). The botulinum is gathered by the bees with the pollen, and is one of the rare/ kinda cool types of microbes that survives in "hibernation", like a seed, until the right circumstances present themselves. (In 3,000 year old tombs in Egypt "encapsulated" bacteria and viruses have been found, held in perfect suspension. They're part of the science behind "curses", and why many used to die when a tomb was opened. The microbes had been dormant for thousands of years, but once they found a host, came out of suspension and started to multiply and people died of diseases that hadn't been seen for thousands of years).

Well, you have already been told that honey doesn't go bad... but my favorite smoothie recipe is cinnamon banana one that I used to make when I worked at Baskin Robbins. (it's more like a milkshake though...) It's just frozen vanilla yogurt, milk, a whole banana, and a TON of cinnamon. Blend it to the right consistency and enjoy! It's pretty good if you add malt to it, or you can add some chocolate instead of cinnamon, but it's not as healthy.

You could also use a fruit concentrate, and blend it with Ice and 2-3 scoops of frozen yogurt to make a blast. I can't remember the amounts, but it wouldn't take much experimentation to get it right... Just use a LOT of ice.

Hello! This is def not scientific but I remember my Nana having old honey that was always "sugary" on top that she kept in a plastic bottle and would warm it up in a pot of water on the stove top when she used it for recipes or tea...so it was absolutely old and she was always reheating the same large container up until her passing away...wow...memories. Well, know one ever got sick...:) And my fav smoothie is cantaloupe, banana, honey, vanilla yogurt...good luck

Honey lasts forever. If it crystallizes, just dip the whole jar in hot water.

I've never seen an expiration date on honey. Honey gets old but it doesn't go bad (that is, become bad to eat). What happens is that it crystallizes. When that happens, you can decrystallize it by placing the container in water on LOW heat and let it heat very gradually until it's in a pouring state again.

Sorry not to have any smoothie recipes - I've never tried making one. Guess I'm behind the times!

Honey never goes bad; it just crystalizes over time. If your honey is crystalized you can heat it up with some water to rehydrate it. It is also Hygroscopic (the ability to attract water molecules from the surrounding environment) which makes anything it is baked with last longer as well. As for recipes just check a recipe website:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Honey-Mango-Smoothie/Detail....

1 / 3