Experiences at Target

I just had an awful experience at Target this past weekend. I was trying to return stuff I had gotten from my baby shower and spent an hour at the customer service desk trying to match gift reciepts with the items I was returning and then had over 10 items that I didn't have reciepts for that they would not let me return even for store credit!! I was told I could pick 2 (A YEAR) to get store credit for with my drivers license or I could exchange the items for like items of the exact same price from the same department! So bath stuff I had to get bath stuff, and clothes, clothes, even though I had a registry and could have used a baby gate instead of bath wash that I already have like 900 bottles of. Anyone else have such an experience? I am thinking of boycotting Target!

Target wrote me back "explaining" the policy, but not applogizing or making any exceptions. I guess my biggest problem is that I understand that they are losing money because of disreptuable people, but most of thier customers are not trying to make them lose money. I am all for customer satisifaction- you do whatever it takes to keep your customers- and I for 1 (along with my family) will not be shopping at Target ANYMORE!!

I had this problem after my shower for my twins. I had thousands of dollars worth of merchandise that was doubled (er... quadrupled). I wrote a letter to corporate customer service and explained that if I had a registry, then I should be able to exchange- no exceptions. They do it to prevent theft- but come on!!! Who is going to steal 4 pack-n-plays?? Anyway- the e-mail helped. And I was able to print out a copy of an e-mail and I had no problems when I presented the letter.

Well,
I came here by accident looking to buy something online from Target - This is not good. I think I may just move on to JC Penney where they accept returns regardless of receipt.
Note to the European ladies: if you had higher expectations and voted with you feet (as I just have) you might have better return policies.
To expect that every customer is a theif because they return an item is very bad for business.

YES! I had the same experience when I had returns from my baby shower! It is ridiculous! I was so mad, and I called their 1-800 number to put in a complaint, but I don't know if it helped at all. I told them I wouldn't register there the next time around b/c they make it so hard, and some people don't include the gift receipt with their gift. But now if I give someone a gift from there, I ALWAYS include the gift receipt. They need to put a warning on the registry that prints out.

That sounds awful. I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I shop at Target all the time, and I have never had anything like that happen. Did you talk to the store manager when all this was going on? Sometimes that can help. If the store manager isn't willing to do anything for you, you can go to their website and get the information to contact the corporate office. No one should have to go through that. I have NEVER had an experience at any store where it is their policy to only give 2 store credits a year on items that you don't have receipts for, especially if you have a gift registry. That's completely rediculous.

I ran into the same issue at Babies R Us in 2008. I had bought a few boxes of their store brand diapers that I had bought in preparation for our baby's arrival and only had receipts for a couple. They were awful diapers for my son and he leaked through them constantly so we wanted to exchange. They refused the ones without the receipt. The manufacturer did reimburse me for the open box when I politely complained about the leaking (without any proof of purchase). They just sent me an envelope to send in some samples for their testing. Target and Babies r Us now can look up purchases via your credit or checking account number which is so helpful. You are still up a creek with gifts but I really wish more stores would employ that receipt look up technology.

I think Target is absolutly right, and all stores should have that policy. In Europe no store will never ever take something back without a receipt. Why should they? Maybe it is stolen!
Only a receipt is proof it is not stolen. So no receipt: no return.

I can imagin you are mad, because for years Americans are used to just returning everything. But that's going to change, because that's costing the stores tons and tons of dollars. Target is just the first one.

I.

had the same problems. it is completely unrealistic to only expect two returns a year without a receipt! i just tell them i don't have time to shop and request a credit on a card. that way you can use it for whatever you want!

I have had the same experience at Target as well. There is a loop hole though. If you registered for it they will take it back. So you just go online and add it to your registry and that you received it and then tell them that it was items off of your registry and they will take it back. It is a little time consuming but it works. I am a store manager at Right Start in Dallas and we deal with registry returns all the time, we are very leanant though. We will return it no questions asked, we know how stressful it is when you are expecting. Hope this helps!!!

1 / 3