Experience with Hair Growth, Biotin and Silica

Hi Moms,

I was diagnosed with hyporthroidism about 6 months ago, a condition I have probably had for 15 years or more according to the doctor who finally diagnosed me. Which would explain why my once super thick, curly hair was getting thinner and more brittle. I am now on hormone therapy and feel wonderful, except that my hair has not really changed.

Does anyone have experience taking either biotin, silica or both for hair and nail strength and growth? I have tried to research their effectiveness, but it is very hard to tell whether it is all hype or actually helpful. Any personal stories for or against would be great.

One thing to think about....

The hair that has already grown will not change..... the hair we see is essentially dead.

As that hair falls out (a natural occurance), new hair, hopefully thicker and more healthy, will take its place.

Unfortunately, this takes time.

I have done this!
I can double my hair growth rate (from 1/2 inch per month to 1 inch per month) and it's strong (as are the nails).
Once a day take each:
1 biotin supplement
1 tablespoon black strap molasses (sulfur source)
1 teaspoon FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth (silica source) - mix it up with water or juice and drink it down (horse tail supplement works too).
The hair grows faster - but it grows faster everywhere - under arms, legs, eyebrows get bushier faster.
The finger and toe nails grow quickly too - this can be annoying if you are trying to keep them polished.
I am hypothyroid too (for about 19 years).
I was on synthroid for 8 years but I tried Armour Thyroid awhile ago and I found it works better for me.
I know people who do very well on synthroid, but I'm one of those people who do not convert T4 to T3 very well, so something that has both works best for me.

Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your condition, but I'm happy to hear that you are feeling great! Hormone therapy (synthroid) has made me feel a great deal better, too. I was recently diagnosed with Hashimoto's Disease (which causes hypothyroidism), and I was experiencing some hair loss. Thankfully, it has stopped & my hair has grown back. I'm not sure if my vitamins & diet have helped stop the hair loss, or if it was the synthroid that reversed it. I take a whole vitamin supplement - Garden of Life Vitamin Code (Women's formula). I believe that this supplement, along with regular B-12 injections, have helped me to feel a lot better, too. (I also have RA, which contributes to fatigue.) How long have you been on the hormone therapy? I've been told that it takes a few to several months to actually become fully effective & reverse any symptoms. Sometimes the dose has to be regulated, too. Since you are feeling better because of the hormone therapy, hopefully it will be just a matter of time before your hair loss is reversed. In the meantime, I think a good (but not too expensive) 'hair formula' supplement can't hurt. Do you have a natural foods store near you? If you do, I'd suggest going there and asking a knowledgeable employee for suggestions. Good luck!

1 / 3