Experience with Diapar Genies

Would any of you mamas who have used the Diapar Genie care to give me a review of how well it worked? Pros, cons, etc? Was it worth having? Thanks! J. in Fuquay

Thanks for your responses, ladies! I think that instead of getting a Diapar Genie, I'll make a pretty 'tube' to store plastic grocery bags in for the nursery! You've been very helpful!

I have had 3 differant kinds of diaper pails one being the diaper genie. They are great when the baby is little but when they get older it only hold a few before you have to empty it . Is just as easy to put in used grocery bag & toss in garabage can. I ran a home day care for 6 years & just put them all in house can in grocery bags then took big trash bag out at end of day . Didn't stink up the house at all .

hey, we weren't impressed with the Genie. It is great for keeping the smell down, but so is emptying a trashcan. It is really cumbersom and hard to empty. It's a mess. we finally chucked it and just got a small trash can that has a pedal that pops the lid open. We just tie up the bag at the end of the day and be done.

We won't be using a Diaper Genie again.

I have one and don't know that I will use it again with my next child. It does work, but cleaning it out is nasty! And you have to buy the refills which I began to fill like it was a waste of money. Next time I will but them in a plastic bag and take the stinky ones strait outside to the large garbage can.

We used a Diaper Genie for about two weeks after our son was born, but it was more trouble than it was worth to take the diapers out and didn't control the smell that much. We eventually went to just using a regular 5-gallon bucket (one that had had laundry detergent in it) with a regular trash bag. It did as good a job of anything of keeping the odor in as long as the lid was put on correctly. Sometimes I'd put a dryer sheet in the bottom of the bag to help with the odor when we opened it to put in another diaper, but then I just got one of those 99-cent air fresheners like you see for hanging on cars' rearview mirrors and taped it to the underside of the lid. We used it for four years and two kids.

Good for you! You'll be surprised how much new and "improved" stuff is out there...

I did not like the Genie because it used special bags and you have to twist them in... Check out the Diaper Champ, you can use the plastic bags you get at the grocery store and the lid just flips over to accept the next bundle.

congratulations on your newest addition! I know you are so excited. I just had a friend adopt from China and I can only imagine your excitement. I used a Diaper Genie for my first child. It was great! But what I found was even better was we finally got trash pickup for the 2nd child and I would just throw the stinky ones right into the dumpster outside! I did that with child number 3 too. That seemed to be the best thing, because the stink was completely out of my house!

I personally think they are just too expensive and complicated. I have always just double bagged stinky diapers in grocery bags and that works just fine for us.

DON'T BOTHER!!!! Diaper Genies are disgusting. You would be better of getting a little trash can and throwing your diapers in it outside or in the garage. They are difficult to deal with and when you have to change them the bag weighs about 200 lbs and smells like heck!!! I used to call it the poop sausage maker. It is so gross. Congrats on your new baby.

I know you asked about the Diaper Genie but I thought I'd give yo a review of your other popular option.

We got a Diaper Champ when my daughter was born and really liked it. We've since switched to cloth diapers so we're no longer using it but while we were it was great!

Unlike the Diaper Genie the Champ can be flipped with one hand so when you have a squirmy baby on the changing table you aren't left trying to figure out how to get the diaper twisted up like you do with the Genie.

Also, the Champ can use any bags. We used plastic grocery store bags for ours and emptied it every couple days. With the Genie you need their special refill cartridges that cost $6 each I believe. And if you run out in the middle of the night you are SOL.

These were my two main issues when considering which option to go with for us. I am really happy that we ended up going with the Diaper Champ!

Congrats on the new addition to your family! What a blessing for all of you!

A Diaper Genie is a MUST!!! It really helped us with the smell of those dirty diapers. It seemed to be more sanitary using the Genie instead of our regular trash.

1 / 3