Expected Behavior for a 6 Year Old

We recently went on a day trip with our friends who have a 6 year old. His behavior took me by surprise/shock but I want to find out whether it is appropriate behavior for a 6 year old? Some things included snatching money from my hand to get something (of course his parents were not looking at that time, and before I could react he was gone.), eating food from my plate without asking, sipping drinks from my glass without asking etc. I kinda felt very odd about these things. Is it normal? My 3 year old never does these things and I was wondering if it is something I need to watch for in her? We know the parents from work, but I have only met the kid twice before, so its not that I am too familiar to him.

Thank you ladies for your answers. My friend spends little time with her kids, I wonder if it is due to that. But anyway, I think we'll stick to kids free activities.

I am going with not normal behavior with a six year old. My six year old will drink from my glass but has never taken a drink without asking my permission. I don't think she's ever done this to anyone else and if she has well...we would have to talk about this behavior and discuss that this is not polite.

Not normal......Appalling!

My 6 y.o. does not tdo any of these things. He may want a bite from my plate and drink from my cup, but he always asks first. He has been taught manners. I think him snatching money from my hand would have been the first and last straw for me.

Not normal, the child has obviously not been taught boundaries let alone good manners.
It reminds me of one of my daughter's friends. Once, when they were about 8 years old, we invited her along on a trip to the mall. We were looking for a father daughter dance dress for my daughter. The whole time this girl was asking me to buy her things, jewelry, a top, a purse, I couldn't believe it! My daughter and I were both appalled. Sadly it made sense after I got to know the parents a bit. The poor child ran wild and did whatever she wanted, the parents just looked on, shrugged their shoulders and laughed with a "what are you gonna do" attitude. Awful :(

My daughter drinks for my glass all the time, I don't know where her mouth has been so I usually find an excuse to just let her have the drink. I don't even share a drink with my husband. EEEWWW.

Anyway, since I am usually telling my kids not to drink from my cup it is usually something they are not going to do. This child drinking from your cup tells me that his family drink after each other all the time and he has learned that is normal.

As for grabbing the money, I would have told the parents right away. They may be having issues with that at home and working on not doing it anymore or he may have done that and they laughed, so now he thinks it is cute....who knows what we each teach our kids that we would never do consciously.

My seven and four year olds always ask before taking a drink from my glass (as I have explained germs and if anyone is sick we don't want to share). They have never eaten straight off my plate...I fix each of them their own plates (even if we are sharing an entree).

Having said that my seven year old has done things that totally baffle me and I have no idea where he gets the idea and why in the world he would act on it. And usually it is when we are with friends or family we hardly ever see...so they probably go away with weird thoughts about my seven year old son. He will lick something gross or suddenly put his feet on the table (which he never does at home)...and I think..."aggggh!!!"

Kids can do strange things...

OF COURSE this is normal if people allow it. Dont' worry it wont' just "happen" to your child. Continue to use discipline and good parenting and those behaviors won't just "happen". Your three year old may try those things in the future, but if you dont' allow it, they wont' continue. Yes, left to their own devices, 6 year olds will act like that.

Eeks! My 6 yo doesn't act this way and never has. She's been taught manners!

1 / 3