Expanding Ribs During Pregnancy?

This is a really odd question. I think my ribs expanded while I was pregnant and stuck like that! LOL I am pretty little, 5'2" and back down to my prepregnancy weight of 110lbs (I promise I eat, and a lot!). My ribs never used to stick out as much as they do now - and it's not the really skinny kind of showing ribs, it's literally like they expanded, more so towards the bottom. I carried my son, who is now 13 months, all in front, I was all belly. He was usually pretty low and rarely in my ribs, which I would think would make more sense if he were high! Has this happened to anyone else? Or am I just imagining this...

THANK YOU ALL!! I fee normal now! LOL I am glad to know I am not alone. It still sucks because I look funny in tight shirts like tank tops - the bottom of my rib cage is the part that sticks out so I have a weird bulge. I guess I will just deal with it and be glad that atleast I am back to my prepregnancy weigh! ;) Thanks again everyone, it helps to know I am not alone!

Yes, this happened to me too! My dresses that I wore before having children still fit around the thighs and waist, but the zipper gets stuck going up my back.

Nope, you're probably not imaging it! My left rib cage sticks out further than my right. When I lay down, it looks funny cause it sticks out a little. My son was 9 lbs at birth and I have him to blame for it. :)

yep! Because I breastfed I got below my prepregnancy weight at some point and I seriously could still not fit into dresses that were in my prepregnancy weight's sizes because the overall shape of my body changed! Not good when you wait to the last minute to put on a dress for a wedding!!

Ah, crazy things happen! I had a torched torso occur after my pregnancy. This was found out after I had my friend give me a bodywork session as I was favoring one side more than the other.

I would imagine if you want to see if things can go back... Maybe getting your torso worked in any massage sessions could help if you have your sessions focused there if it really bothers you? (some persons are not comfortable with things after pregnancy...). I am not sure if PT would do it or if there would be a means for a script for it without it getting overly expensive (you know how pricey these sessions can be! I had to go a few times for my knee and I am always blown away when I get the bill!)

But the body goes thru crazy changes after we have our beautiful children! LOL ~ ;)

have you been to a chiropracter? They can do x-rays and work on the issue if there is one. :)

I've read that your ribs actually expand when you get pregnant, to allow your lungs to take in more air. I'm the same size as you and prepregnancy I had a 32 bra and now can only wear a 34" band. Hope that helps...oh and my babies are now almost 8 and 5 so it doesn't go away :(

You're not imagining things. It happens. Some women have things go back down after the baby is born... but even those women often do not have things exactly back in place.

Particularly since you are a petit woman, I would imagine you notice it a bit more. Baby does alot to your body... it's just part of the package. :-) Hips are wider, ribs a bit wider, everything a little out of place. It's just how it is.

It has happened to me, I am also very small like you and always wore small shirts now I am a medium and even sometimes large. My feet are a 1/2 size larger too! Can't believe what pregnancy can do to our bodies, but it is all worth it!!

1 / 3