Exercising Without Any Exercise Equipment

I am turning the big 3-0 this year so now more than ever I want to get into great shape....I want to be fit. I'm a pretty normal weight, but have the flabby legs and butt thing going on. My normally little arms are starting to get that little flap and my belly is a little too loose. I would really like some ideas on what exercises will work on these areas. I have no exercise equipment and am a stay at home mom. Since my husband is now home in the evenings I can run at the middle school track. How many miles should I work up to? What other things can I do while at home with the kids? How many times a week?

Thanks Moms!!!

Yesterday was day two of exercising. I ran and walked a combo of two miles and added some of the exercises mentioned in the post replies (sit ups, push ups and planks). Today I am slightly sore but feel great! I know it will take a couple months to see results, but I can already feel my body feeling better. Thanks for all the advice. Now if I can only keep it up :-)

If you have a flight of stairs, you have a stair master. Just go up and down them until you get a little winded. Repeat this every day till it gets easy, then add a few more reps. It's great for toning up the legs and behind.

The best exercise ever - jump rope. I do 3,000 skips outside of my home, and it takes me about 1/2 hour. It works your arms as well as your abs and legs, and doesn't cost anything. One $10 rope.

If you're embarrassed about jumping rope in public, well, don't be. Boxers do it.

I asked the mamas here for advice about at-home workouts. I felt like my gym membership wasn't cutting it.

Many recommended Jillian Michael's 30-day Shred DVD. I got it and a couple 2lbs hand weights but was really skeptical.

Consider me a convert. I was spending up to 5 hours a week at the gym but the 20 minute workouts on this DVD pushed me way harder than I was apparently pushing myself at the gym. One minute into the DVD, my heart was pumping and I was sweating.

I think her workout had a definite impact on my abs. Though I wasn't carrying fat around my middle...I had lost all tone due to babies. And she also does a pretty good job on the arms.

Running will tone your body overall, but you should also add squats and some light resistance-training (small hand weights). I usually run 3-4 nights per week for 30-40 minutes and then 2 nights a week I do squats and light lifting. I haven't lost a significan amount of weight, but have definitely toned myself down two pants sizes.

You might check out the couch-to-5k program. It's a running program. I have a friend that has done this and is now running marathons less than a year later. My goal is not to run marathons but to lose weight and exercise. I started last night and it wasn't bad at all. You can download the podcasts from Robert Ullrey's site to your mp3 or phone. He will tell you when to walk and when to run.

Check out the No Excuses Workout www.noexcusesworkouts.com. There is a free section.
Also www.sparkpeople.com for free exercises, support, nutrition and all kinds of good stuff. Just started that one myself.

Push ups, sit ups, lunges squats - regular and plie. If you have stairs, walk up and down them for 20 minutes. Since you can get to the track 3 miles/day, 3 times a week is a good goal initially. If you really enjoy it, you can certainly run more!
Planks, crunches, bicycle moves are all good for abs. (Planks, esp!)

There is lots you can do. Dance like a crazy woman to your favorite music! Whatever gets your heart rate up. When something starts to get easy, it's time to move on to something else or take it up a notch in intensity.

push-ups, planks, and lunges are the best for those areas. Barnes and Nobles have great workout books with pictures.

1 / 3