Exercise After C-section - Miami,FL

Wanted to ask you all about exercising after a C-Section. I want to work on my abs but was told that you have to wait at least a year before you start any stomach exercise. You might feel good but your insides haven't healed yet. Is this true and has anyone been told the same thing? Need advice...

I had a c-section with my son and I was afraid to go wave running because we do some really fun stunts. My doctor told me that it was fine after two weeks but it is really up to you. I believe a year is way too long.

I didn't have a c-section, but I did have a hysterectomy 18 months ago and was told the same thing. I "tested" it about 6 months out from the operation and regretted it. I'm just now getting back into trying to work my core on a regular basis.

My doctor had me up and walking within an hour of delivery. I thought he was perhaps evil. (((smile))).

They always say, "everything in moderation." So perhaps call the doctor's office, and ask what exactly do they suggest you do or do not do.

I pray you heal quickly.
God bless!!!!!!!!

Ive had 4 c-sections ranging from the age of 20 to the age of 39. In the hospital I started doing some exercises in the bed. Lie on your back and press the small of your back flat to the floor holding in your abs. Hold for a count of 10. You can repeat this several times. This does not add any strain to your incision. I also beleive I was released to do crunches after my 6wk checkup. Ledg lifts took a while to get back into. You know your body and its limitations. I cant beleive a doctor would have recommended such a long waiting period, unless you have other medical issues. Check again with your doctor. di

Good Advice so far ! :) The only other suggestion I could make is a program called Core Rhythms. It isn't really hard to do and it's actually fun because your learning latin dance moves at the same time. It really is a great workout (for a change of pace)and you'd be suprised how much ab work is involved ! Ever seen a flabby dancer ? Good Luck and Enjoy ! C.

I was told 6-8 weeks too..maybe about 6 months for intense workouts... gradually build as your strength returns...you should be able to feel your own limitations...just dont oush it too much at first. I had a c-section with my last 2. but don't be surprised if you dont see any results...at least not for a long while,,,,the muscles have been cut....I still have a belly..2 years later..;-(.
Mom of five.

I had a c section 3 1/2 yrs ago and I started walking about a week later, elliptical after 3 weeks and everything, weights, spinning class and jog after 4-5 weeks. I had no problems at all, just listen to your body. I did all the everything as mentioned above until the day I went to the hospital. The only thing my doc mentioned was nothing heavier than the baby the first and no driving for the first 3 weeks. good luck!

I had a c-section in September. I was always pretty active, so I stayed in touch with my doctor after delivery for advice. I was told to get up and walk around as much as I could comfortably right after delivery. At my 4 week check up, she said I could start exercising, but I should not start any abdominal work or strenuous aerobic exercise for at least another month.

After basically not getting out of bed for 2 weeks and not doing any abdominal exercises since before getting pregnant, I started VERY slow at about 2 months postpartum. My abs still tire easily, but I am slowly building my way back up. I try to get in at least a few sets of crunches every day.

Hi R.,

I have had 2 c-sections without complications after and I was exercising within 6 weeks.
I started with walking and increased the efforts. At about 3 months, I started doing some gentle ab workouts like the plank, or just holding the crunch without the repetitive up and down movement. Make sure to listen to your body.

Go here: A doctor gave some advice:
http://boards.webmd.com/webx?THD@@.89a54b8f!thdchild=.89a...

Another good source: http://www.abs-exercise-advice.com/abdominal-exercise-aft...

Water aerobics is perfect for that situation too.

I have an outdoor stroller fitness class for moms and babies in Davie. Call me for advice or to try a free class.
Good luck =)

1 / 3